What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I use FaceTime on my iPad to make a video call 2 a iPhone

eddiethebhoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I myself have got a ip3 and I am wondering can I make a video call using my ipad3 to my sisters iPhone. Also I am new to using this ipad3 as it is my first one. If you know how I can contact my sister on her iPhone from my iPad , could you please be so kind as in to tell me how I do this and what I would also need to tell my sister to do on her iPhone if there is anything she has to know as she is new to FaceTime and we have not used it in contacting each other yet. I would deeply appreciate anyones knowledge who knows all about this , as I am from one end of the country and my sister is like at the other end soooo many miles away and it would be deeply appreciated , thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You and your sister have to activate your FaceTime accounts by going to settings > FaceTime,click on FaceTime and set up the account.Make sure you each know the other's email address.

Making a FaceTime call
To make a FaceTime call, choose someone from your contacts or favorites, or list of recent calls.

When you open FaceTime, you may be prompted to sign in using your Apple ID, or to create a new account.

Call a contact: Tap Contacts, choose a name, then tap the phone number or email address the person uses for FaceTime. FaceTime must be turned on in Settings > FaceTime.
Restart a recent call
Tap Recents, then choose the call from the list.

Add a favorite
Tap Favorites, then tap the plus sign, choose a contact and select the phone number or email address that the person uses for FaceTime.

Call a favorite
Tap Favorites, then tap a name in the list.

Add a contact
Tap Contacts, then tap the plus sign.

For a contact outside your region, be sure to enter the complete number, including country code and area code.

Set options for FaceTime
Go to Settings > FaceTime.

While on a FaceTime call
While talking to someone using FaceTime, you can switch cameras, change the orientation of iPad, mute your microphone, move your picture-in-picture display, open another app, and finally, end your call.

Switch between the front and back cameras
Tap the camera icon.

Change the orientation of iPad
Rotate iPad. The image your friend sees changes to match.

To avoid unwanted orientation changes as you move, lock the iPad orientation. See Viewing in portrait or landscape.

Mute the call
Tap the microphone icon. Your friend can still see you, and you can still see and hear your friend.

Move your picture-in-picture display
Drag the inset window to any corner.

Use another app during a call
Press the Home button , then tap an app icon. You can still talk with your friend, but you can’t see each other. To return to the call, tap the green bar at the top of the screen.

End the call
Tap the phone,end icon.

Last edited:

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in mind, FaceTime requires both the caller and the callee (?) to be connected to WiFi. It does not currently work using 3G or LTE.

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your sister will need to have a newer iPhone, i.e. 4 or 4s, that has a front camera if you want to see her. Otherwise, if she has to use only a rear camera you will see her but she won't see you.

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in mind, FaceTime requires both the caller and the callee (?) to be connected to WiFi. It does not currently work using 3G or LTE.

This is why I hate FaceTime (and the commercials about "if you don't have an iPhone, you don't have FaceTime"). It's too limited. I would suggest looking into Skype or something else that will allow video calling over 3G (or wifi) to not only iPhones, but other phones and to PC's as well. Why limit yourself to only people with iDevices that happen to be on wifi?

I am somewhat surprised and baffled why it's been out like 2 years and is still limited to wifi only. I figured by now they'd have enabled 3G calling with it. Maybe they'll catch up in iOS6?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In this case,Face Time would work fine,because both the OP and his Sister both have iDevices.Besides,the OP specifically asked about FaceTime.This thread wasn't intended to be a general thread about video calls.

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In this case,Face Time would work fine,because both the OP and his Sister both have iDevices.Besides,the OP specifically asked about FaceTime.This thread wasn't intended to be a general thread about video calls.

Well, the OP didn't say their sister would always be on WiFi, which is why we're pointing out the deficiencies of FaceTime and offering alternatives in case that's not the case.

Most reactions

Latest posts