What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I save and edit AVI files in iMovie

mojo_man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I have an iPad2 and a GoPro HD sports camera. I also have the camera dongle kit from apple to import files directly to the iPad2.

I purchased all this as well as iMovie so I could edit the films but it will not show them as the camera saves as an AVI file.

as I understand it (not done this yet) I have to convert the files in iTunes and them import them back into the iPad2 which sort of defeats the point of having the iPad2 with me while I’m out and about![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is there ANYTHING I can do to import the files into iPad2 via the SD card reader so that I can at least save and view them, even if I can’t edit them until I export import them abck in!!!!

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]About the GoPro HD:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What is the video format?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
The camera records in MPEG4 (.mp4) files using h.264 compression[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is the camera compatible with Windows? Or the Mac OS?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Either. The camera is compatible with both Windows AND the Mac OS. You can use them with Windows XP (service pack 2 or later) or Vista, and Mac OS X 10.4.11 or later.[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iMovie can be finicky. I belive the video has to be 720p @30 fps & 44khz audio. The goPro records @ 48khz audio. Dont know if that's why Imovie won't recognize it or not.

OP
M

mojo_man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All I get when I import the files in is a blank white box with AVI file on it.

Its on the iPad but I cant view or edit anything. basically useless.

Brockly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I try to send you a quick personal mail but the site wouldn't let me because I'm so new to the site so here my message to you ....

I never use it yet. Just got my new ipad2 about 4 days but I download movies off the net and converter them to my iPod.. Could that help you ? Convert them and them mess with them on the iMovie or you didn't want to do that ?

Brockly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lol can i delete my test post?

just wanted to know if i can delete my test post?

luckyjames

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I have an iPad2 and a GoPro HD sports camera. I also have the camera dongle kit from apple to import files directly to the iPad2.

I purchased all this as well as iMovie so I could edit the films but it will not show them as the camera saves as an AVI file.

as I understand it (not done this yet) I have to convert the files in iTunes and them import them back into the iPad2 which sort of defeats the point of having the iPad2 with me while I’m out and about![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Is there ANYTHING I can do to import the files into iPad2 via the SD card reader so that I can at least save and view them, even if I can’t edit them until I export import them abck in!!!!

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]About the GoPro HD:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]What is the video format?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
The camera records in MPEG4 (.mp4) files using h.264 compression[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Is the camera compatible with Windows? Or the Mac OS?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Either. The camera is compatible with both Windows AND the Mac OS. You can use them with Windows XP (service pack 2 or later) or Vista, and Mac OS X 10.4.11 or later.[/FONT]

in order to successfully import camcorder video to imovie for ipad2, you must make sure it is mp4 or mov format, and they must be h.264 codec and in 44100 sample rate.
for detailed info, you may refer to How to Import Camcorder to iMovie for iPhone 4, iPad 2 and iPod Touch?

happygirlbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
according to my practice, it is a camcorder video converter which can convert any kind of camcorder video format to imovie supported format

Most reactions

Latest posts