What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do I Sanitize iPad 2 for Sale, Trade, Gift?

bamashooter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will soon be giving my new iPad 2 Refurb to my daughter. I want to completely sanitize it prior to the event. I found the following "how to" at apple support:

Summary
You can remove all settings and information from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using "Erase All Content and Settings" in Settings > General > Reset.

If possible, your device should have a full charge before beginning this process. If it doesn't have a full charge, connect the device to power and leave it connected until the process is complete.

…more
Products Affected
iPad, iPhone, iPod touch

When you opt to "Erase All Content and Settings," the process can take from a few minutes to several hours. The time this process takes will vary by iOS device:

Devices that support hardware encryption: Erases user settings and information by removing the encryption key that protects the data. This process takes just a few minutes.
Devices that overwrite memory: Overwrites user settings and information, writing a series of ones to the data partition. This process can take several hours, depending on the storage capacity of your iPhone or iPod touch. During this time, the device displays the Apple logo and a progress bar.

Just wanted to seek your opinion as to whether this is current and complete info. Additionally, I would like to know this will be totally independent of my iPhone 4S since they are both synced with iTunes.

Thanks

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Back up your device first. The process happens on the device itself so it will not impact the PC you use to sync your devices to. But if you want your data back, do a complete backup before doing this.

OP
B

bamashooter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back up your device first. The process happens on the device itself so it will not impact the PC you use to sync your devices to. But if you want your data back, do a complete backup before doing this.

Will do. Thank you.

OP
B

bamashooter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's funny. Had you written my post I would have absolutely interpreted it the way I intended. Thanks for the work you do here.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's funny. Had you written my post I would have absolutely interpreted it the way I intended. Thanks for the work you do here.

Thank you also. Glad you joined our forum and hope you can get your iPad in new condition for your daughter! She'll love it! :)

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for daughters better just give her ipad mini with newer tech cause shed learn faster while you can give the outdated apple 2 for the elder :p

Most reactions