What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I open a PDF file

Crooki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys. New member to the forum and a new iPad 2 owner. Already hooked but can't open PDF files. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks all - hope you can help.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iBooks is the Apple solution. Goodreader is my personal preference

-t

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you received the PDF file as an attachment to an email, then - if it's not too large - the iPad's Mail app will open it from within the app itself. If it's a very large attachment, it may tell you that it's not been entirely downloaded and you'll have to touch the icon of the attachment to complete the download.

You can read the PDF file in Mail, if you want to, but most users prefer to move the PDF file to another compatible app - such as iBooks or GoodReader - as the previous poster suggested. To do this, when Mail is displaying the PDF file, touch the page and a menu bar will appear briefly at the top of the page offering you the option to open the PDF file in whatever compatible apps you have available on your iPad.

If you downloaded the PDF file in Safari, then there's a similar process. Like Mail, Safari can display the PDF file too but it's usually easier to open it in either iBooks or GoodReader and the way to do that is the same as with Mail, touch the page and select the app you want to open the PDF file in.

Tim

Danweis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad and PDF

When there is an attachment in email, taping on it opens it, however after that I seem to get stuck viewing the PDF. How do I get back to email? I've had to kill email to get back to the inbox. There must be a simple way, but I can't figure it out.
Thanks,

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once you've finished reading the PDF in your mail, tap on the center of the screen. You should get a blue "Done" box in the upper left hand corner. Press that and you're back to your Mail and out of the PDF.

Marilyn

Most reactions