What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I have different headers for Page

grassmudhorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I got Page recently on my iPad and I want to have different headers for each page, the imported word file retains the different headers I put on each page but how do I put different headers for eqch page using the Page app? Help plz

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can't.

If you need a different Title at the top of each page you'll have to do it manually.

I've got an idea for using tables that might be a work around (with emphasis on work), but it's time to walk the dog (before it gets dark). I'll take a look later tonight and get back to you if I figure out something I consider a decent solution.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried searching on my Pages for this and couldn't find a method either. The footer set up once done is set for all pages until you change it again--I had to type out a different header for each page to make it work. Would love to see what you have, Twerppoet! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. It's not perfect, but it's better than trying to enter the header as part of the main text flow.

Create a table and reduce it to a single row and three columns. This lets you have the same function as the normal header; left, center, and right text boxes.

By playing with the table and cell settings, along with text, justification, etc., you can create a wide variety of effects. One you have the basic table designed (the parts you know you never want to change), you are ready to place it.

Select the entire table, go to the paint brush icon, and choose the Arrange. Turn off Move with Text. Drag the table to the top of the first page, using the alignment guides to get it centered and positioned correctly. Back at the Arrange settings tap the Wrap settings, make sure they are set for Above and Below, then play with the Extra Space slider until the text is a comfortable distance below the header.

When everything is the way you want it, select and copy the table.

You can now paste it to the top of any other pages, and make changes as needed. You'll have to go back and change the Arrange settings for each paste, turing off the Move with Text, and ensuring the other options are still good; then drag it into position.

When you are done with each page's sudo-header you can Lock it under the Arrange settings. This will prevent accidental changes or moving.

If you design your first header table with careful thought of how you are going to use it, this method shouldn't too much trouble. I recommend playing around with it in a scratch document before tackling the real one.

I'm thinking you could do something similar using shapes and grouping them. It would be more trouble, but offer more creative opportunities. I may play around with the idea later, just because.

Here is the document I played with. It may give you a few ideas, and you can play with it to see what I'm talking about.

https://www.box.com/shared/fl8ofpwyg4z2z8prs940

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This was very helpful, Twerppoet! Never thought to do what you suggested, I'll have to give that a try!!

I am copying this thread to my "Helpful Links" notebook for future reference! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I went ahead and tried the same trick using Shapes using the same Arrange settings as the header work around. By using the group and ungroup options (a lot) I made it work. But it was a lot more work.

On the other hand I had a lot more control over appearance. I could get some fairly flashy effects using gradient fills and overlapping transparency, as you can see on the third page (The World). However that one was a major pain to pull off. Every single shape has to have Move with Text turned off before it can be grouped. Took me a while to realize that. Also, this took grouping of groups to work around the difficulty of selecting all the overlapping shapes.

My recommendation, if you need really flashy headers is to design the background in a graphics app first and import it.

Anyway, here's the test file for that experiment. Not that I think you're likely to want to use it.

https://www.box.com/shared/rw603ffdbkb1myxa5k9c

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh wow, Twerppoet--that looks really nice with the color and shapes. It does look like a lot of work, but if time permitted the overall look would be great!

Thanks for trying the shapes. Hope the OP comes back and see's your work here. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh wow, Twerppoet--that looks really nice with the color and shapes. It does look like a lot of work, but if time permitted the overall look would be great!

Thanks for trying the shapes. Hope the OP comes back and see's your work here. :)

No problem.

I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't having fun. Though I suppose that does call into question my sanity, or at least my judgment on what's supposed to be fun. ;)

OP
G

grassmudhorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, though it will be a little annoying when I put the doc back on the computer to work with, but. Thanks anyway :)

Also I checked the file you uploaded as an example but I can't quite get the hang of it. I have to say I'm quite new with apple products and software, and some questions I ask may sound foolish, but how did you create the table? Btw, does Pages have the ability to store the words you have made up or from another language like how it does in Words?

Thanks for the help again

Last edited:
OP
G

grassmudhorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another small question while I'm at it, does the Pages app have the ability to remember words that you made up and store them somewhere like how works can?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No, not really. Apple does not provide a method of customizing the dictionary.

There are two workarounds.

You can add shortcuts for the words un Settings > General > Keyboard or you can add the words as contacts.

Both methods will stop spellcheck and auto-correct on those words.

If you foil autocorrect three times, it will stop correcting that word, but it won't stop saying it is misspelled.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, though it will be a little annoying when I put the doc back on the computer to work with, but. Thanks anyway :)

Also I checked the file you uploaded as an example but I can't quite get the hang of it. I have to say I'm quite new with apple products and software, and some questions I ask may sound foolish, but how did you create the table? Btw, does Pages have the ability to store the words you have made up or from another language like how it does in Words?

Thanks for the help again

The plus icon has a Tables option. I chose the simplest table. At the left bottom and right top there is a small circle icon wiht double arrows. Tap those to change the number of rows and columns, respectively.

If you choose the entire table (by tapping the dot at the top left corner, the paintbrush icon will show you settings for the entire table, including the vital Arrange settings. If you select a cell or several cells the paintbrush icon will show you the options for those cells.

Create a table and play around with it to get an idea of what you can do.

Here is a link to Apples onlin Pages Manual. You can get to the same information by choosing Help in Pages.

Most reactions