What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I get to watch a movie on my iPad Air?

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a movie (mp4) which I want to put on my iPad so I can watch it during a boring bus trip.
I can load it into 'Films' in iTunes okay but how do I get to play it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’m not sure what you mean by ‘Films’ in iTunes.

Using Apple’s apps you should be either using the TV app (iOS 10 and later) or the Movies app (older versions of iTunes). The iTunes Store app is just for purchasing, not viewing.

If you are talking about iTunes on the computer, you would need to adjust the sync settings in iTunes for the iPad, then sync with the iPad before any movies copied to the computer will be available on the iPad. They would then play in the TV or Movies app, depending on your iOS version.

It would be easier to use a third party app like VLC. There are several methods availale to copy movies to the app from the computer, cloud service, or internet. Other popular apps are OPlayer and AVPlayer.

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there twerpoet! This is little, old, Luddite, Expatriate you're talking to :(!

You wrote: If you are talking about iTunes on the computer, you would need to adjust the sync settings in iTunes for the iPad, then sync with the iPad before any movies copied to the computer will be available on the iPad.

Would you step me through that please? What adjustments do I need to make and how do I make them?

The folder my iPad syncs to (P_Temp) is set up like this
upload_2018-2-18_7-9-18.png

Do I set up another sub-folder called 'Films' and put my MP4 in that?

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’m not certain what you are looking at. It’s either a folder on your computer, or you are directly accessing the iPad’s folders via an app. Either way, it’s not a safe method for a self proclaimed luddite (or pretty much anyone else). iOS is not designed for direct folder access, and any computer to iPad syncing should be done through iTunes (or one of a couple other third party apps).

Whatever you are looking at, it is a recipe for disaster unless you know exactly what you are tinkering with.

Unlike Windows or OS X on a Mac, iOS is not an open file system. You can’t just copy/move/delete files directly without serious risk of corupting some app or the system.

So, to use iTunes to copy a movie to the iPad, you fist import the movie into iTunes on the computer. Then (with the iPad connected to the computer) you open iTunes and select the iPad icon at the top. This will let you see the various sync options. Here are more detailed instructions. Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes on your computer using USB

When setting up sync between the iPad and computer via iTunes, be very careful what you do.

As I said earlier, it would be easier to use a third party app like VLC, OPlay, or AVPlay to watch non-iTunes purchased movies. Each of these has several methods of importing movies. None of them involve digging into the iPad’s folder structure and copying files directly too it. Each of these has a method of copying directly between your computer and the iPad via wi-fi. It’s usually called something like wi-fi sharing, wi-fi drive, or wi-fi network.

It works by giving you an IP address to type into your computer’s browser. It can be pretty much any browser; Explorer, Chorme, or Safari. Once you type in the IP address, your compuer browser will go to a page that lets you select and copy files from the computer to the that app. Each app looks a bit different.

(The app must be open on the iPad’s screen for this to work).

Here is how you find and turn on wi-fi sharing in VLC.

5F362327-F104-486A-9A58-2CF73846D51E.jpeg

AC45C602-B922-4661-B007-9FE2A8446ED0.jpeg

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plug in my iPad to PC (USB) and start iTunes. iTunes does its automatic sync thing.
I select the device icon and go to 'Films' on my device - drag and drop offending MP4.
upload_2018-2-18_10-52-46.png

Then I go to 'Films' under settings
upload_2018-2-18_11-3-35.png

and it tells me I have 0 Films - but it goes through its Sync thing again anyway.

I can't find my movie anywhere on my iPad - where would it be hiding. When I find it (if it is there) how do I play it?
I did have a look in the user guide, but - like most software documentation - it's about as much use as a hip-pocket on a T-shirt!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Andy Dwyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP , forget all that iTunes nonsense download an app called “ send anywhere “ !
I have it on iPhone, iPad and my Windows 10 laptop.

I download movies or tv series to my laptop and send them to iPad via this app.
You can create folders and organise it how you want, good for movies, photos and any files you want to move.

Very easy, much better than the iTunes mine field !!

IMG_4466.JPG

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, folks.
Sad to say it turns out that my MP$ is too big for the memory in my el cheapo iPad.
All this was a pipe dream, and floats away like the smoke in the wind.

Thanks again. Sorry if I wasted your time.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, folks.
Sad to say it turns out that my MP$ is too big for the memory in my el cheapo iPad.
All this was a pipe dream, and floats away like the smoke in the wind.

Thanks again. Sorry if I wasted your time.
No time was wasted as this thread could be of help to other members wanting to download videos to their iPads.

Most reactions

Latest posts