What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I get text messaging to work on my ipad3?

elle_sc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wi-fi is on but when I send something I keep getting delivery failure?????

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are using the Messages app, it can only send to other iOS devices, and only if the recipient's device has been registered/signed-in in Messages' settings.

Zuki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
elle_sc said:
My wi-fi is on but when I send something I keep getting delivery failure?????

Everything it's difficult on this iPad....

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The confusion with Messages on the iPad is that a lot of people expect it to work just like SMS does on a Phone. SMS is a phone based service, and only SMS works like SMS. On the iPad Messages only uses iMessage (Apples' chat service), not SMS. At least for now.

Other messages service (like iMessage) require an internet connection and the same (or compatible) app on each device or computer. Messages is that kind of app, and since the app is only available on Apple computers and devices it's somewhat limited. Just like FaceTime.

There is a bit more confusion in that the Messages app on the iPhone can use both SMS and iMessages (because it's a phone). It can be configured to use the most efficient service, depending on who/what you are trying to communicate with.

OP
E

elle_sc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank u so much! Any recommendations on one of the free text messaging apps?

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
russ331 said:
HeyWire Free Texting has good reviews at the App Store.

In the UK HeyWire only works if the person you are sending to has the app as well, seriously annoying grrrrrrrr

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

Most reactions

Latest posts