What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do I Get My Paid Apps Back?

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just tonight, I did an upgrade on my IPad (Gen 1) from 4.3.3 to 4.3.4. I also upgraded ITunes to the current version. In the process of it all, I lost every single app that I had on my unit.

About a week and a half, ago, I had upgraded the OS on my PC to Windows7, from Vista, and I believe that the program (ITunes) is reading my computer as a new system, because of that. I attempted to Authorize my PC, but had no success in doing so.

Though I must have done it, I cannot (for the life of me) remember setting up an Apple ID, and I cannot find any other avenue by which to get me apps back.

Any help, here, would be most appreciated.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you checked in iTunes on your PC to see if the apps are there, if they are then you need to tick them all and re sync. If not, go into the app store app on your iPad, click on the purchased tab then re-download, iTunes will know that you have paid for them and will not charge you again.

The Archangel

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, of course, you can download them all again because you don't get charged for downloading them again. It might seem as though you're going to get charged but - at the very last minute - the App Store says 'Already Purchased' because it keeps a record of all your app purchases. OK - this is a 'sort of' solution if you only have a few apps, like me, but if you have hundreds then it would, for sure, be a pain and only twerp poet can solve it because it involves that dreaded program, iTunes....:(

Tim

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before doing the upgrade, did you backup your iPad to iTunes? Then, after finishing the install of 4.3.4, did you elect to "restore [iPad] as new" or "restore from backup"?

If you did a backup, yet didn't restore from backup, just do another restore of your iPad via iTunes (I am making an assumption that all your apps show up in iTunes...). This time, when prompted, elect to "restore from backup" and iTunes will put your iPad back the way it was before the upgrade.

This happens because, during an upgrade, iTunes/Apple essentially wipe out your operating system to reload the new one from scratch. It's as if you started all over again, fresh from the box... So, you need the backup to, well, "restore."

I understand iOS 5 may (is?) implement an incremental upgrade, where it doesn't wipe out the whole iPad. But that's iOS5 and that's later. Hopefully, this info will help you now.

Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you can't remember your Apple ID, then you'll probably have to contact Apple's customer service and get them to send it to you via email. I'm not sure what they will do to confirm your identity, but they must run into this problem now and then.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, to everyone, who responded with their willingness to help me out. However, I was able to get back on board (for the most part, anyway). I did remember my log-in information and I am, pretty much, OK. I was able to download a purchased app, from my IPad, last night. But another, that I'd also purchased, brought refusal to me. I was met with notification that I had to sign in to ITunes from my computer, in order to be granted that download.

As much as I love this IPad, I am seriously considering selling it. THAT's how much I hate ITunes. I have been looking at other tablets, and have yet to find one with the build quality of my IPad. But that will be a small thing to overcome. Being able to finally detach myself from this monumentally stupid ITunes will be relief enough to overshadow any 'build quality' shortcomings.

It's really a shame, because the IPad (in and of itself) is a mighty fine piece of technology.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
In the AppStore on the iPad, there is a section for your already purchased apps. No need for iTunes cause you can do it directly from the iPad itself. This is how I recovered what was already purchased last time has everything that I downloaded was listed there.

VicoPad addict!

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In the AppStore on the iPad, there is a section for your already purchased apps. No need for iTunes cause you can do it directly from the iPad itself. This is how I recovered what was already purchased last time has everything that I downloaded was listed there.

VicoPad addict!

Thanks. Yes, I had seen that 'Purchased' indication, at the bottom of the App store's screen, but had just (my attention) shot right over it. I see, now, that this is a very simple means by which to regain one's paid stuff. Again, I thank you.

Most reactions

Latest posts