how do i erase data from my iPad before selling?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Juressrou, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Juressrou

Juressrou
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    hello, i have an old ipad 2, I wanna to sell it on ebay, but i found there are many personal data on it, I deleted them now, but I'm afraid that the deleted data may be recovered by someone else, so, is there a way that can completely erase data from ipad without recovery? Thanks.

2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Before selling your iPad, disable Find my iPad, and sign out of your iCloud account. Then go to Settings - General - Reset, and select "Erase all Content and Settings".
    This will set it back to factory default, and remove it from your iCloud account, so a future owner will be able to use it.

Data on the iPad are encrypted. The encryption cannot be turned off. Erasing via Settings will destroy the encryption keys. Without these, it's not possible to read any data left behind.

#2 J. A., Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Locustard

Locustard
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I read a post on CNET, which says a simple factory reset is still not enough to keep the files being recovered.

4. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That must have been an article from more than a year ago. The encryption is effectively unbreakable. There's no tool that can access and read the data.

5. Juressrou

Juressrou
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    thanks but I don't wanna restore my device to factory default, that will erase all of my data.

#5 Juressrou, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  6. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want to sell it, you have to remove all the information.

If you need the data, backup your device before erasing it.

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello and welcome to the forum! :) The above gave me a chuckle! ;) You obviously are in a state of indecision here, i.e. you want to erase your old iPad to sell it, but at the same time, you do not want to erase your iPad and lose your data - huh?

First, have you purchased another iPad and if so have you restored the new device from a backup of the old one? If that is the case, then all of your data should be on the new iPad. Second if you have not done a backup and before following Johanna's advice, backup the old iPad to iCloud and/or to iTunes (I use both) - check this Apple Support Article for directions if not familiar w/ the procedure.

I've sold 2 iPads and restored our new ones which came back as perfect clones of the older devices - followed the steps given previously; so, you need to make a fairly simple decision. Dave :)

#7 giradman, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Patrica

Patrica
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Just perform factory reset. But before this step, you'd better backup your iPad data.