What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I download cydia?

OP
A

Acepress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@f4780y
Hi, and thanks for the assist; I've deleted the old folders I downloaded previously both the zipped and unzipped one. I dowloaded it again and now it is unzipped. I just "right clicked on the unzipped folder and renamed it from .zip to .ipsw. I then tried to run redsn0w but when I browsed my desktop I was still unable to find the folder.

Kindly help. Thank alot

Sorry dude. You didn't read my post properly. I specifically said the problem was that you unzipped it and YOU SHOULD NOT DO THAT!
All you want when the download is complete is 1 file about 660MB in size which ends with the extension ipsw. Then you browse to that file with redsn0w. Clear?
NO UNZIPPING.
sorry I meant to say it is still zipped. But what is confusing me is it is downloaded as a folder not as a single file it is 593MB, I renamed the folder to.ipsw, but the funny thing is when I right click on the folder and go to properties and then to details the file name is "ipad1.1_4.3.3_8j3_restore.ispw.zip"???????????

OP
A

Acepress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Acepress said:
@f4780y
Hi, and thanks for the assist; I've deleted the old folders I downloaded previously both the zipped and unzipped one. I dowloaded it again and now it is unzipped. I just "right clicked on the unzipped folder and renamed it from .zip to .ipsw. I then tried to run redsn0w but when I browsed my desktop I was still unable to find the folder.

Kindly help. Thank alot

Do not unzip the file! Just rename it.

Rename the file, i.e. Filename.zip to filename.ipsw

Then tell it where the renamed zip file is

Hedgie - Mmm Cali Lewis!
Tanks alot and sorry for the mistake I meant to say it is still zipped.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your configuration in windows is not allowing you to rename it properly. You probably have it set to hide file extensions for known file types. You can change this in Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / View and untick "Hide extensions for known file types".

Or you could try using a "proper" browser like firefox or chrome to download it. I think the rename is just an IE annoyance...

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Acepress said:
sorry I meant to say it is still zipped. But what is confusing me is it is downloaded as a folder not as a single file it is 593MB, I renamed the folder to.ipsw, but the funny thing is when I right click on the folder and go to properties and then to details the file name is "ipad1.1_4.3.3_8j3_restore.ispw.zip"???????????

Delete the .zip when viewing in properties then save/ok

Sounds like you are using windows xp

Hedgie - Mmm Cali Lewis!

OP
A

Acepress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@f4780y
Thanks a million it worked, and I am on it now, thanks again, I just went to tools and did what you said.

OP
A

Acepress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well now that I have cydia, I am trying to get *** EDIT *** and tried several youtube methods butall ask you to go to "manage" then "edit"m then "add" etc...

But in my case I cant find the "manage to start with!!
I hope I aint asking to many questions, pls bear with me since I am new to all this.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
A

Acepress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry, I read the rules but I dont know which is a piracy app and which is not.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Piracy apps = any software that allows you to download & install programs for free that are paid applications in apple's app store or cydia's marketplace.

You need to rephrase question and ask "how to add repo's in cydia on jb ipad?"
A:
Goto to "sources" @ bottom tab in cydia and you should see "edit" top right....I think...away from ipad ATM.

Last edited:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just to update:
When downloading from the official repo's instead of the pirate repositories, you would be informed if app is compatible with the your current firmware or iDevice and it would not let you install where in the un-official repo's, bypass's this check to force install. Which would result in a long restore and re-jb process.

One users experience...
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/29898-incompatible-cydia-apps.html

So in lamen's tems ~ don't be a pirate...

Last edited:

Most reactions