What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I detect if a keylogger has been put on my iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JElk41 said:
I recieved an iPad 2 for Christmas from someone but recently there have been some strange things happening that are not easily explained. I have had several of my accounts hacked and I get the feeling that the hacking has come via someone monitoring my iPad activity. Any dialogue is appreciated.

Is your wireless router locked down and require a password to access? Is encryption enabled on the router if available?

As stated above an active keyboard logger is not a possibility. There is the minuscule possibility someone is sniffing router traffic if your network is not secure....highly improbable from my perspective.....someone would have to be extremely well versed in data communications and extremely motivated to be sniffing at the router level.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whenever we use wifi or any type of wireless communication, the data indiscriminant. Meaning that anyone with a receiver within range of the transmitter (iPad) can intercept the signals. If they have the ability to read those signals, then they know everything that you transmit. You can put a passord lock on your home wifi receiver, but it will not protect your iPad from being listened to. Password protection of home networks is meant to protect your computers from being 'backdoored', or from others using your internet identity. Security is a personal effort and will require research outside of these forums to be effective. We can lend you what knowledge we have, but it is an area that you need to study up on. Remember this, even the most tech savvy companies struggle to keep up with device protection. That is because the more secure you make a device, the less usuable it becomes to consummers.

AdamSC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If someone had taken the time to open the package, jailbreak it, run custom jailbreak code to remove Cydia and then install a keylogger then yes it is possible but it's a very extensive process and unless you are doing things on your iPad that you should probably only be using a secure terminal for then I see no reason why anyone would go to the effort to install a keylogger.

You can rest assured beyond that that no keylogger would have made it into the apple store. You should be ok!

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
are you just a tiny bit paranoid..or are people really out to get you...people here can here can only help if you are willing to tell us exactly what your ipad is doing that is suspicious... if it has not been jail broken then it will not have a key logger on it...it is far easier to steal identity form other sources then a ipad... are you internet practices up to par with not getting "stuff" stolen form your home computer... ? more info is needed here in order to help...not just you speaking in riddles and providing no info other then just a suspicion...be interested to hear why you feel someone would go to the extent needed to and required to open a box and bug it and then seal it back to factory look just to spy on you.

Last edited:

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most people do not realize how much information they share voluntarily. People post way too much about themselves on facebook and twitter. Even a message board like this could be a treasure trove of information if you paid attention. Something as simple as wishing each other happy birthday gives a critical piece of information for passing a security check for account verification. I have never once given my actual birthday.

Lots of sites have security questions now for retrieving passwords. I give the correct information for critical sites but shopping sites and whatnot I give false information that I have committed to memory. You should also not use the same passwords.

Also, never verify account information on an incoming call. If there is a problem ask for a number and an extension to call the person back. Look online to make sure the number matches with a branch or bank.

The other super easy and low tech way of gathering critical information is for someone to just take your trash. I use a confetti shredder.

My point is there are easier ways to get your information than rigging an iPad.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:
Most people do not realize how much information they share voluntarily. People post way too much about themselves on facebook and twitter. Even a message board like this could be a treasure trove of information if you paid attention. Something as simple as wishing each other happy birthday gives a critical piece of information for passing a security check for account verification. I have never once given my actual birthday.

Lots of sites have security questions now for retrieving passwords. I give the correct information for critical sites but shopping sites and whatnot I give false information that I have committed to memory. You should also not use the same passwords.

Also, never verify account information on an incoming call. If there is a problem ask for a number and an extension to call the person back. Look online to make sure the number matches with a branch or bank.

The other super easy and low tech way of gathering critical information is for someone to just take your trash. I use a confetti shredder.

My point is there are easier ways to get your information than rigging an iPad.

There was no need for this to posted.

I already knew! . *hand wringing evil laugh*. :)

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:
Midranger4 profile update:

Has two hands with full range of motion.
Can speak.
Probably likes action movies.

Correct on points one and two!

I like a good romantic comedy actually :)

Die hard, terminator, blah blah blah....take 'em or leave 'em!

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hpulmer said:
1. First of all, JElk41, who would have such an interest in investing in a christmas present just to spy out some accounts? ( I mean, honestly, unless the person who presented it to you got it from a doubtful source, you should seriously consider what a person would present you a bugged device, or????)

The OP might be going through a messy divorce and he/she might not be able to completely know who is being loyal to which party.

Reaction score
@followthesapper...YES...I'm aware of that...that's why I'm inquiring about this. Could it be possible the person that gave me the iPad loaded the keylogger on it before they gave it to me and then packaged it to look like it hadn't been opened?

Most probably not a keylogger in your iPad, I think it might be other malware...If you are not sure about that, changing passwords don't make too much sense since you are doubting now under monitored. I suggest you to restore the factory default settings.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most probably not a keylogger in your iPad, I think it might be other malware...If you are not sure about that, changing passwords don't make too much sense since you are doubting now under monitored. I suggest you to restore the factory default settings.

Hello Olivia and welcome to the forum. You are responding to a thread that is well over a year old. The OP has received a number of answers and is unlikely to return here now for more. With that the thread is now closed. Do keep posting and enjoy the forum:)
Andrew
........................................................ Thread Closed .............................................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions