How do I detect if a keylogger has been put on my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by JElk41, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JElk41

JElk41
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I recieved an iPad 2 for Christmas from someone but recently there have been some strange things happening that are not easily explained. I have had several of my accounts hacked and I get the feeling that the hacking has come via someone monitoring my iPad activity. Any dialogue is appreciated.

2. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to our forums......I think that would be impossible to install a keylogger unless it was jail broKen and even then I would be surprised it could be done. I suggest you restore the iPad to factory state on your
    c or Mac

3. followthesapper

followthesapper
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I don't think anyone could have installed any malware on your iPad unless they jailbroke it. Without jailbreaking, all apps have to come from the iTunes Store. There's no way a keylogger would be possible given how apps work in iOS, much less get past Apple's examination process. So I don't think you need worry. If you're really concerned, though, connect your iPad to your own computer and perform as restore as a new device. That will erase all the content on the iPad and start it afresh.

Ah, I see I've been beaten to it :)

4. JElk41

JElk41
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Is there a way to tell if the iPad is jail broken?

5. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It will have an app called Cydia. (Note I do not have any experience jailbreaking, but I believe Cydia is the "unofficial app store" so it should be available on all jailbroken devices.)

6. leelai

leelai
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Yes Kevin is right if you were Jailbroken you would have Cydia.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
    Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
    http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
    2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
    http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
    http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
    We have rules like any Community so please read these also
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

7. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The wifi signal that you use on your iPad can be intercepted very easily. Even the 3G/4G signal can be intercepted. That should be the first thing to look at. Another thing is that various pertinent bits of your personal information can be sorted out from various sources, and put together to use against you. Once out in the world, the only thing you can do is change all your passwords.

8. JElk41

JElk41
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Seadog...how would that work with a wifi signal being intercepted? In other words...what could someone do if they were able to intercept the wifi signal. My concern is that the ipad I recieved was from someone who would have an interest in "keeping tabs" on me. I've racked my brain as to how some of the things that have happened have happened and the only thing I can come up with is that the iPad was "bugged" somehow.

9. followthesapper

followthesapper
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    There is an app designed for parents I think to keep tabs on children's use of iPad:

#9 followthesapper, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2012
  10. JElk41

JElk41
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    @followthesapper...YES...I'm aware of that...that's why I'm inquiring about this. Could it be possible the person that gave me the iPad loaded the keylogger on it before they gave it to me and then packaged it to look like it hadn't been opened?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.