What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I delete firmware 6.0.1 that i downloaded but havent installed?

adrian2pm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the title says. I bought an ipad 3 3g with 5.1.1. firmware and just jailbroke it today. I noticed that 6.0.1 is ready to install through ota. How do i delete that file to get back that space its taking?I've tried looking through a bunch of folders but couldnt find it or not sure what to look for.I know i cant restore because i do not have my blobs saved through cydia or anywhere.

thanks for your help.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
adrian2pm said:
As the title says. I bought an ipad 3 3g with 5.1.1. firmware and just jailbroke it today. I noticed that 6.0.1 is ready to install through ota. How do i delete that file to get back that space its taking?I've tried looking through a bunch of folders but couldnt find it or not sure what to look for.I know i cant restore because i do not have my blobs saved through cydia or anywhere.

thanks for your help.

I'm afraid it can't be deleted. All you can do is ignore it until such time as an iOS 6.0.1 jailbreak is released.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has ever found where that update is (I'm not even sure the update is actually on the iPad - it just might be code to initiate the update when you press on that line in your Settings app). Of course, I'm perfectly willing to be corrected... :)

So, my suggestion is to ignore it and NEVER press that update line. I am in the same situation and I have a couple of Cydia tweaks installed to help me. They are (1) "No Update" - stops your iPad from looking for and downloading the update (with this tweqk installed, you could press the update in Settings, but nothing will happen) and (2) "noOTA bade" - removes the red badge from the Settings icon. Just makes it less annoying than to have a badge you can't clear.

Those two tweaks will help you avoid the whole update mess. And, with careful management of your iPad (e.g. only install known safe tweaks), you should be fine on iOS 5.1.1.

Hope this helps ... somewhat. :)

Marilyn

OP
A

adrian2pm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you all. i am going nuts looking for that file. i will try those tweaks you mentioned. thanks again.

beachutman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
adrian2pm said:
thank you all. i am going nuts looking for that file. i will try those tweaks you mentioned. thanks again.

Hi,

I am a new iPad user. I have the standard 3 model, it is not jail broken.

My question is this.... I also have the 6.01 update waiting in my settings. I only will install it if the wifi problems have been overcome with this release since 6.0 would not work with many routers, notably netgear which I have.

Anyone know if it is fixed or again how can it be deleted from an unjailbroken pad?

Thanks for any replies!! :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
beachutman said:
Hi,

I am a new iPad user. I have the standard 3 model, it is not jail broken.

My question is this.... I also have the 6.01 update waiting in my settings. I only will install it if the wifi problems have been overcome with this release since 6.0 would not work with many routers, notably netgear which I have.

Anyone know if it is fixed or again how can it be deleted from an unjailbroken pad?

Thanks for any replies!! :)

As stated earlier in this thread, you can't delete a downloaded, but not installed update. You cannot remove the update notification from settings.The wifi problem was generally with older routers that hadn't been updated.

beachutman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
As stated earlier in this thread, you can't delete a downloaded, but not installed update. You cannot remove the update notification from settings.The wifi problem was generally with older routers that hadn't been updated.

Thanks for that. I have an old router but it works perfectly with all my other pc's.

Guess I had better wait till the next release from apple. Not impressed by this at all! That download which I didn't want she's up ver a gig of space which is a lot on a 16g model.

I suppose if I do a full restore it will just download itself again :/ ?

beachutman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:

Thank you! If I do a reset on the iPad I presume it will just download it again? It uses up over a gig on a 16g iPad:/

beachutman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:

Sorry!! Posted twice . Not used to the interface yet!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
beachutman said:
Thanks for that. I have an old router but it works perfectly with all my other pc's.

Guess I had better wait till the next release from apple. Not impressed by this at all! That download which I didn't want she's up ver a gig of space which is a lot on a 16g model.

I suppose if I do a full restore it will just download itself again :/ ?

The problem is not with the Apple iOS update, but an older router that needs updating. If you update your router, is should work with your PC's and your iPad.
As long as your iPad is not on the current version of iOS, you will always get onscreen reminders to update. If you are already on iOS 6, the update to iOS 6.0.1 should be less than 60MB, not over 1GB.

Last edited:

beachutman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
adrian2pm said:
did you check a firmware update for your router?

Yes, there is a firmware update . Just seems a shame to mess with it when it has always worked perfectly.

The entire 6.01 update is downloaded because I had avoided upgrading to 6.0. It was just there when I got up this morning. Guess it had been downloading itself in the background.

Seems to me like apple should leave that choice to the user and not 'force' it on us?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
beachutman said:
Yes, there is a firmware update . Just seems a shame to mess with it when it has always worked perfectly.

The entire 6.01 update is downloaded because I had avoided upgrading to 6.0. It was just there when I got up this morning. Guess it had been downloading itself in the background.

Seems to me like apple should leave that choice to the user and not 'force' it on us?

They do give you the choice. Once it's downloaded, you have to tap the install button manually, it won't install itself.

Most reactions

Latest posts