What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do i delete email messages?

robb100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see the trash can icon to delete messages. I have to select the mailbox icon and then select trash. This seems cumbersome. The manual says there should be a trash can icon. Any ideas where it is?

thanks
rob

scotland66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the email app on the left hand side is the list of your emails. At the top of this list there should be a button called edit. Push this button, you will then be able to delete single or multiple mails.
Nick

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And if you want to see what's in the Trash, then press the top left-most icon on the Mail app to take you through to the 'Account's tab (if you have multiple accounts), then press the name of the account you want to see the Trash icon for in the accounts section of the left-hand pane.

Tim

OP
R

robb100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The manual says
Delete a message: Open the message and tap (trash can icon). Or, swipe left or right over the message title in the message list, then tap Delete.

I do not have a trash can icon. I have an archives icon and a mailbox icon. Anyone have a trash can icon?
The swipe left or right over message doesn't work either.

m3incorp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I have a trash can icon as the second icon on the top right after you open a message. If I swipe over a message in the message column, the red delete appears. Have you done a hard reset and which update do you have installed?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I have the native iPad Mail App retrieve messages from my Yahoo account - opens as my 'Inbox' w/ new messages marked - there is a trash can in the right upper corner which allows quick deletion of the message. Did you at one time have the trash can and has it disappeared? Do you have more than one account setup in the Mail App? If so, is the absence of the trash can consistent w/ all accounts?

Just for starters (i.e. if not already done), try to restart and if not successful reset your iPad - Directions HERE - if these maneuvers do not help, please post back to this thread - good luck! :)

OP
R

robb100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I think i got this figured out. I restarted then opened mail. When the mail was opening the trash can appeared then turned into the archive icon. So i went into settings, mail and selected my account. The last option is Archive Messages which was set to On. I changed it to Off then opened mail again and this time the trash can is there! Much easier to delete messages now. Thanks for your help.
rob

dgk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another question to do with this thread. How do you delete more than one all at once...like on a PC you would shift and click on the first, then click on the last and that would choose everything in-between ... How do u do that on a iPad?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another question to do with this thread. How do you delete more than one all at once...like on a PC you would shift and click on the first, then click on the last and that would choose everything in-between ... How do u do that on a iPad?
Unfortunately there isn't an equivalent for deleting email on the iPad. However per scotland66's earlier post, you can delete multiple emails, it just takes a couple of more steps...

1. Open your mail account
2. Tap the Edit button at top of the left-hand menu
3. Tap the radio button (small circle) next to the email you want to delete (a red checkmark will appear - if you decide not to delete it, tap the circle again and the checkmark will disappear)
4. Continue to scroll down your emails and check all that you want to delete
5. When you've selected all of the emails you want to delete tap the "Delete" button at the bottom left hand corner

This and other information about using your iPad can be found in the free iPad User Manuals linked below my signature.

Hope that helps and enjoy!

Last edited:

Skyjacker07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure you have gone into settings on that specific email account, and check delete from account or when you get on a computer and access your email account you will still have to delete all of them from there also.

Most reactions

Latest posts