What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I delete an icon from the screen?

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry guys, this is dumb question #2 from me...
icon15.gif

I used the + symbol in Safari to add icons of webpages to the screen. I now want to delete one of them, but I can't work out how to do it. Selecting it in iTunes and pressing delete doesn't work.

Any ideas?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Press and hold it (on the iPad) until it jiggles and you'll get a little X to remove it.

OP
DM51

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks - I would never have thought of that. Worked perfectly! :)

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to the forum!

A lot of people ask this question and the answer is in the iPad User Guide.

I don't know why, but Apple doesn't include a CD with the User Guide on it. There is a link to the online iPad User Guide in the Safari web browser app (included with your iPad) and also as a free download from the iBook store (after you download the free iBooks app) or as a free PDF directly from the Apple website in the support section.

This "wiggle" method is also the way you can move icons on the screen or from one screen to another.

OP
DM51

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, and for that very useful tip. No more stupid questions from me, I hope! I was unaware of the user guide, and somewhat puzzled by there being no instructions bundled with the iPad. There was just one piece of paper that said "plug it into your computer, open iTunes and follow the on-screen directions." That was it, LOL.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think all of the Apple-related forum owners must have gotten together and convinced them not to include the User Guide with the iPad so it would boost forum activity!

Actually, I think Apple assumed that most iPad owners were also owners of another "iDevice" and would just "figure it out" without the manual. But if you read some of the posts, a lot of people start out by saying that the iPad is their first Apple device. I mean c'mon Apple, even my $20 D-Link router came with a CD!

Nevis99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Deleting Apple icons on iPad2

First time user on this forum - great site. Rather than starting another thread, I thought I'll just add to this one. There are some icons that does not have the delete option. These are icons preloaded with the iPad. How do you delete these - for example the "Games" icon ? Thanks.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't delete these apps, sorry!

But for the ones that annoy and that I don't use, I put them in a folder and tucked them away on the back page of the apps so I did not have to keep looking at them!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First time user on this forum - great site. Rather than starting another thread, I thought I'll just add to this one. There are some icons that does not have the delete option. These are icons preloaded with the iPad. How do you delete these - for example the "Games" icon ? Thanks.

You and I are going to form a club of two. I recently admitted that I'd never played a computer game - ever! (I thought that, admitting this as an iPad Forum moderator, I'd get fired) I'm guessing you're in that category too and that's why you want to get rid of that icon!!

The insolence of Apple to assume we want to play computer games when there are far more interesting things to do...now down pours the tirade of abuse on my head....take cover...

Tim
ps this Forum has a great sense of humour...

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, Tim, I still think you're a bit ... well ... weird to not play games. I mean, c'mon, you are SO missing out when you don't play just one episode of Tiny Wings. Very relaxing fun... And, maybe, just maybe, your moderating credentials ought to be reviewed/examined. I'm just sayin'! :D

But I digress.

However, speaking as someone who has a bunch of games on my iPad, even I don't want that goram GameCenter app on my iPad! I don't play well with others and I couldn't care less that someone has multi-thousands of points. Nor do I care to post and brag about my scores (although, it could be that I don't HAVE that many points ... but that's not the point!).

All that to say that even game players hide that durn icon away. And, wish we could delete it. What a waste of screen space!

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seeing the topic bounce back into vogue prompts me to remind peeps that with a jailbroken iPad you can remove these icons in a couple of ways. Both SBSettings and Poof! support this....

Nozaed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nevis99 said:

You can do this by logging on to iTunes and select or highlight the icon and then right click the mouse. Here you have the option to delete. Enjoy your new ipad2 it is great.

Most reactions