What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I close the window please?

boxingday

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone help please? I have an iPad Air ..I am enjoying using it but I don't understand how to close a window, eg I access websites through Google but cannot close them, they all remain open stacking up at the top of my screen. I had a laptop before and had to click on the x at the top right of the screen to close ..I understand there is a button at the bottom middle of the iPad screen but I can't find it,
Thank you, any help much more appreciated .

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To close tabs in Safari, tap the button at the top of the screen:
image.jpeg

Then either slide the pages you wish to close to the left, or tap the small x:
image.jpeg

If you wish to force close apps (not recommended), double tap the Home button, then slide the thumbnails to the top of the screen.
image.jpeg

This should only be done if an app misbehaves.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, if you go to Settings > Safari and turn on Show Tab Bar, you'll get tabs just below the tool bar. When you tap on a tab you'll see a small (x) that you can tap on to close the tab.

If you only have one tab open, the tab bar will not show. To close the last tab/window, follow Johanna's instructions.

The URL and tab bars tend to disappear when scrolling. You can get them back by either scrolling up, or by tapping the time in the status bar. Tapping the time when the URL and tab bar are already showing will automatically scroll to the top of the screen; another handy trick.

For reference:

13c99afe0e3765e017470210bfb22adb.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts