What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do I Clear ALL of the internet history

musclestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad 2 16GB + 3G

Hi, I'm Myron. I'm new to the forum and to Apple.

I have a Google app. Every time I open it my history is shown in the drop down. It appears to me that there are 2 drop downs. One I can clear, because it asks at the bottom. But the next time I click on the Google app. and begin typing, IT'S not cleared.

I've tried by clearing history, cache, and cookies in settings under Safari (which I've never used) Only thing I haven't done is reset my ipad, which I beleive dosen't have anything to do with my problem. Or does it?

I've notice others on-line with the same problem of not being able to clear ALL history on their ipad 2.

I've seen a few other fixes but they are have the same fix which is not working for me.:(

Thankx-n-Advance

Myron

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
apple2011 said:
clear the instant search history but not all...

If you are talking about the suggestion that come up in the URL bar, then there is no way to clear it, at least in Safari. If the Google app you are using does not offer an option, then the same applies.

The good news is that as long as you do not revisit those pages the older URLs will eventualy be overwritten. Hold in mind that saved bookmarks also show up as suggestions.

If you are talking about the search bar, same applies, minus the bookmarks.

Safarish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After using all clearing options in the ipad's Safari setting including history, cookies, cache with no open websites and also clearing history - all all I have to do is type a letter or two in the URL bar, or whatever you call the bar to the left of the Goggle search bar and all previously visited sites with that letter in the name appear. can someone tell me how to delete them? When I search for an answer on the Internet I see the same instructions that really do not work ( in the IPad Settings General Safari options). Has anyone tried resolving this at an Apple store with any luck? I am now using another browser app but do not want to reset my original iPad settings to get rid of the Safari sites that appear in the URL drop down box when I enter www Or any letter of the alphabet. Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
After using all clearing options in the ipad's Safari setting including history, cookies, cache with no open websites and also clearing history - all all I have to do is type a letter or two in the URL bar, or whatever you call the bar to the left of the Goggle search bar and all previously visited sites with that letter in the name appear. can someone tell me how to delete them? When I search for an answer on the Internet I see the same instructions that really do not work ( in the IPad Settings General Safari options). Has anyone tried resolving this at an Apple store with any luck? I am now using another browser app but do not want to reset my original iPad settings to get rid of the Safari sites that appear in the URL drop down box when I enter www Or any letter of the alphabet. Thanks.

As I said. You can't delete them. This buffer is separate from the history, cookies, and cache. There is no setting to delete it. It does run out, eventually, if you never visit that site again.

ModGTI

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad 2 16GB + 3G

Hi, I'm Myron. I'm new to the forum and to Apple.

I have a Google app. Every time I open it my history is shown in the drop down. It appears to me that there are 2 drop downs. One I can clear, because it asks at the bottom. But the next time I click on the Google app. and begin typing, IT'S not cleared.

I've tried by clearing history, cache, and cookies in settings under Safari (which I've never used) Only thing I haven't done is reset my ipad, which I beleive dosen't have anything to do with my problem. Or does it?

I've notice others on-line with the same problem of not being able to clear ALL history on their ipad 2.

I've seen a few other fixes but they are have the same fix which is not working for me.:(

Thankx-n-Advance

Myron
Hi Myron,
first of all are you using a JailBreak Ipad?
If Yes, maybe you would like to consider Clean Up in Cyndia or other resources which you can find easily on the net.

Cheers

Safarish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To Twerppoet
Many thanks. I was happy just to have an acknowledgement it cannot be done. However, although I thought I had tried before, by deleting some of these searches from my bookmarked sites, they finally cleared from the URL. Thanks again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I didn't mention that quick complete in the URL field includes saved bookmarks as well as recent sites? Shame on me. Sorry. :eek:

teakettle15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
As I said. You can't delete them. This buffer is separate from the history, cookies, and cache. There is no setting to delete it. It does run out, eventually, if you never visit that site again.

I believe you CAN delete the URL suggestions that come up. If u clear history, cache, cookies and then hit the button on the side of the iPad (not the main button on front of screen) the suggestions are Gone.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I believe you CAN delete the URL suggestions that come up. If u clear history, cache, cookies and then hit the button on the side of the iPad (not the main button on front of screen) the suggestions are Gone.

You may be right. I don't believe it used to, but iOS 5 could have changed that. I don't see why putting the iPad to sleep (or off, if you hold the button long enough) should make a difference, but I'll check it out when I have enough time to set up a proper test.

teakettle15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may be right. I don't believe it used to, but iOS 5 could have changed that. I don't see why putting the iPad to sleep (or off, if you hold the button long enough) should make a difference, but I'll check it out when I have enough time to setup a proper test.

Twerppoet: for what it's worth, my iPad doesn't have iOS5 (and, if it matters, it's an iPad 1).

Most reactions

Latest posts