What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I alphabatize my bookmarks on my iPad2??

Slider9499

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I looked all over and could not find an answer except to create a drag a folder to my desktop; I assume this was meant for desktop or laptop users

Any suggestion?

Also, anyway to backspace without deleting what I typed?

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For your book marks, open bookmarks (in safari, right?), tap edit, then touch on the 3bars to the right of the address. You can the move it up or down in the list. Sorry you'll have to put them in order manually.

For back space, touch/hold on the text on the screen, a magnifying glass pops up, move the cursor any where you like.

OP
S

Slider9499

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems very unlike Apple not to have a way of automatically alpha Bookmarks. I have over 250 bookmarks in about 30 categories, it'll take awhile to sort these.

There has to be a way to do this automatically

GiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems very unlike Apple not to have a way of automatically alpha Bookmarks. I have over 250 bookmarks in about 30 categories, it'll take awhile to sort these.

There has to be a way to do this automatically

I'm certainly not going to be one to tell you how to organize your bookmarks, but why would you WANT them in alphabetic order?? I think Apple doesn't have a way to do it because most people would categorize a folder, then move that folder to the order of importance or of frequncy it is accessed. I also put category folders for frequently used things in the Bookmarks Bar - so I rarely click on "Bookmarks". I do this across all of my machines - I manage one set of bookmarks, and between Xmarks, and Mobileme, they are the same on my iPad, Macbook Air, iPhone and occasionally used PC. I manage over 1200 bookmarks (I need to do some housecleaning, but I can easily find everything).

OP
S

Slider9499

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alpha uses less steps to find a bookmark

Sort my folder means I have to go to that folder hoping I can remember which folder I placed a bookmark, then scrolling the that list to find my bookmark

Even if I was to create multiple folders I.e. Music, technology, financial, etc. Apple still not provide a way to alphabetized these folders either. IE has a simple Sort By Name item that takes 2 seconds to work and all my stuff is sorted/alphabetized for easy access and with a quick scan I know where everything is.

GiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alpha uses less steps to find a bookmark

Sort my folder means I have to go to that folder hoping I can remember which folder I placed a bookmark, then scrolling the that list to find my bookmark

Even if I was to create multiple folders I.e. Music, technology, financial, etc. Apple still not provide a way to alphabetized these folders either. IE has a simple Sort By Name item that takes 2 seconds to work and all my stuff is sorted/alphabetized for easy access and with a quick scan I know where everything is.

It's all personal preference. For how I use my bookmarks, alphabetical would never work. In fact, I personally find that the ones I have at the top, that show up in Bookmarks bar, are 98% of what I access. For the rest, saved bookmarks start coming up as I type things in Chrome.

However - I might have found a solution for you. Do you use Xmarks? Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search I use it across all of my machines - it will keep your passwords in sync however you organize them. It's awesome. Their iPad app is free, but you have to be a Premium Subscriber to the service (which is $12 a year). I'm not a Premium subscriber because I use MobileMe instead, which syncs my bookmarks to my iPad and iPhone. But, if you don't have MobileMe, it's well worth the $12 to do a premium subscription. The caveat is that you'll launch your bookmarks from the Xmarks app, but they'll all be here.

On the alphabetical side, I've looked in both Chrome and Firefox on Mac (but should be same on PC)...they both have an option to sort alphabetically. So, you can set your bookmarks up alphabetically there, and use Xmarks iPad app (after you've installed it on your desktop to sync the data), and all of your alphabetically sorted bookmarks will be synced over to Xmarks iPad app.

If you have MobileMe, you can set it up to sync bookmarks on your desktop up to the service, then you turn on MobileMe bookmark syncing on your iPad, and you'll be able to sync the bookmarks right into Safari on the iPad (no need for Xmarks).

Let me know if other questions on how to do this...it takes a few steps to set it up, but once you do, you dont have to touch it anymore. If unclear - just let me know whether you are PC or Mac, whether you have MobileMe or not, and what browser you are using.

Most reactions

Latest posts