What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can you notice if oleophobic layer has been damaged?

Conundrum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a microfiber cloth laying around the house and I used it to clean my Ipad's screen with, realizing only later that I had once used it (several months ago) to clean & polish my guitar with. I am afraid I may have wiped the oleophobic layer off the screen.

Now whenever I use the Ipad the screen doesn't smudge as much as it used to. Most of the grease can only be seen under direct sunlight. I am wondering if this is the effect of the oleophobic layer having come off or if this is normal after the first time you clean it.

Comments anyone?

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What was previously on the rag?

Normal use slowly removes this layer regardless but can be accelerated if caustic chemicals are used.
More than likely one time didn't hurt anything and your fine.

Less smudges?....consider yourself lucky. :p

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oleophobic layer? I had no idea. I'll have to look it up on the web. If it was something added to the screen at the factory them I must have all of mine since I added a screen protector the very day I unboxed my iPad.

OP
C

Conundrum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Feeling lucky

What was previously on the rag?

Normal use slowly removes this layer regardless but can be accelerated if caustic chemicals are used.
More than likely one time didn't hurt anything and your fine.

Less smudges?....consider yourself lucky. :p

Thanks for the info and for your prompt reply, it has set my mind at ease!

OP
C

Conundrum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, you should look into it. It is added at the factory and it´s supposed to keep you Ipad grease free but there are certain thingsyou have to watch out for in order to take care of it.

You can check it out at the Macstore page and related sites.

Cheers!

Most reactions