What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Can I Transfer Music from iPhone to iPad Without computer

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not use the laptop anymore. Not sure it even works now. Do not want to fix it either. I know I could move music around using it and iTunes. I have a lot of music on the iPhone and most of it was from CDs that I put on the computer and moved to the phone. I want to put this music on the iPad from my phone... When I used to use Windows this kind of stuff was easy from device to device by drag and drop. How can I move this music from the iPhone to iPad through my WiFi or Bluetooth or something simple.

I like the iPad and iPhone but it seems like Apple sure makes you jump through hoops and puts up obstacles for something that would seem would be a simple exercise by just moving a file from A to B when the same company made both A and B.

OP
Panama

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will try again to find a way to do this...Anybody????

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Use iTunes to synch the music from your computer to your iPad

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

The Music app was designed to work with the iTunes Store and/or iTunes on a computer. While there are one or two workarounds for iTunes on the computer there are no workarounds (to the best of my knowledge) for the computer.

Even Apple's iTunes Match (about $25 a year) requires a computer to set up; though once set up the computer is no longer required unless you want to add more non-iTunes music.

About the only thing you can do is beg or borrow a computer and one of a few third party computer apps to rip your music back to the computer, then use a third party app on both devices to store/access and play them. I hear Google's music app is coming to iOS soon, so that might work. Amazon also has a subscription music service. I don't remember if they have an app. Or something like OPlayer which stores the music locally.

As for simple A to B, it is that simple if you stay entirely in Apple's system. It's when you burn music from C (for CD) to D (for computer) then sync to A and then try to go directly to B that's the problem.

I'm not saying what should be. Only what is. The CD burning and syncing tools in iTunes on the computer date from a time when CD's were the only way to get music into iTunes and has continued to this day mostly as legacy support. Apple has a habit of not looking backwards, so they've made little or no effort to support the ripping of music from one media (or source) to another in iOS. The general effect is that they sell music in iTunes and supply an app to listen to it. If you wan to get your music by other (legal) means then you need to use a different app.

Sorry not to have the response you'd like. Good luck.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't want to use iTunes, you could try an app like Dropbox.
Music can be uploaded to the cloud storage, the app even plays it, and like the Music app, continues playing. What you can't do, is transfer the music from there to your Music library.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Music app was designed to work with the iTunes Store and/or iTunes on a computer. While there are one or two workarounds for iTunes on the computer there are no workarounds (to the best of my knowledge) for the computer. Even Apple's iTunes Match (about $25 a year) requires a computer to set up; though once set up the computer is no longer required unless you want to add more non-iTunes music. About the only thing you can do is beg or borrow a computer and one of a few third party computer apps to rip your music back to the computer, then use a third party app on both devices to store/access and play them. I hear Google's music app is coming to iOS soon, so that might work. Amazon also has a subscription music service. I don't remember if they have an app. Or something like OPlayer which stores the music locally. As for simple A to B, it is that simple if you stay entirely in Apple's system. It's when you burn music from C (for CD) to D (for computer) then sync to A and then try to go directly to B that's the problem. I'm not saying what should be. Only what is. The CD burning and syncing tools in iTunes on the computer date from a time when CD's were the only way to get music into iTunes and has continued to this day mostly as legacy support. Apple has a habit of not looking backwards, so they've made little or no effort to support the ripping of music from one media (or source) to another in iOS. The general effect is that they sell music in iTunes and supply an app to listen to it. If you wan to get your music by other (legal) means then you need to use a different app. Sorry not to have the response you'd like. Good luck.
Amazon has an app, the number of music files that can be stored there is very limited, ~ 250 songs for free, if you need more, you have to pay. And afaik it only shows the music on the one device you're using at that moment, and the music you downloaded from Amazon.

Last edited:
OP
Panama

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple, in all their usual confusing methods, makes something that should be relatively simple more complex. Love their products --- hate their logic...Thanks to everybody for their help. I was hoping for something SIMPLE as A to B --- but alas it is what it is. I really should be able to press a couple of buttons to do this......I tried to do this on my own before asking here. I even did a search and tried to find the answer.

The fault is my own. I had about 600 songs copied from CDs that I bought legally on my PC. I moved them to my iPhone and use a Bose wireless speaker to play them and I did not put them on the iPad at the time....Grrrrrr.

I was looking for something that I could simply do and get the music from the iPhone to the iPad since the PC is not working right now. I seldom use it anymore since the iPad came along. I kept telling myself that I have an Apple iPhone and an Apple iPad. Moving stuff from A to B should be a simple affair even without a PC -- duh??? I thought I was just missing something. Guess not. Funny thing ... Apple is going to make me fix my Windows PC to do it.. Haha. That is pretty funny when you think about it. I can fix it, I just did not want to devote the time to the endeavor.

Appreciate the help....

hansberjime

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just wondering why not use iTunes to synch the music from your iphone to your iPad?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you do not want to use a computer, then you can use Bluetooth connectivity to transfer songs. You have to turn the Bluetooth capability on, for both the iPhone and the iPad. Select the kind of songs you want and connect to the device. After you are done, check your settings to turn off the Bluetooth.
You can't use Bluetooth on a stock iPad to transfer songs.

Last edited:

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think you need a special USB for that. I am not so sure if I am correct but there are some USB that connects both an iPod touch and an iPhone and transfer music. You may need to use bluetooth for it to work. (I am not really sure about this

OR

Use iCloud.

robenvic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How about using iCloud to transfer music from iPhone to iPad?
Settings > iCloud > log in with your Apple ID if you aren't logged in > turn Music on.
Then repeat the steps above on the other device to achieve iPhone to iPad transfer.

Moderator edit...removed external links! Please read the forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts