What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how can i tell if my AT&T ipad2 is unlocked?

jjsmd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am travelling soon and was told I will need to have an unlocked ipad to take the local sim cards.

1) How can I tell if my AT&T Ipad2 is currently unlocked?

2) if it is not , how do I go about unlocking it?

Thanks

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry Grayson. Not trying to be difficult. But I thought the majority of iPads in the USA were UNLOCKED by default. They are not the same as phones and don't tend to get sold carrier locked in many places. I do happen to have a locked iPad1, but this is more of an exception than a rule from what I understand.

My iPad2 is definitely unlocked, but was purchased at the Apple Store.

@jjsmd, if the iPad is locked you would know because you should have got a significant incentive discount for purchasing it locked to a contract. E.g. my iPad1 only cost me £100 in the UK because it is locked into a 2 year data contract with Orange. If you paid list price and just have an AT&T data plan for iPad then it should be UNLOCKED. Bottom line is IF it is locked, there is nothing you can currently do about it, but I doubt it is.

Hopefully someone with AT&T on iPad2 can confirm? :)

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Leigh, you are correct. AT&T iPads sold in the USA are unlocked. If we could find another carrier to offer a data plan, we could easily switch SIMs and use it.

The key is ... finding another carrier. And, I believe that is not an option - right now - here in the USA (well, and get true 3G speed...). Outside the US, it's a different matter, which is why people can buy the AT&T version iPad and take it out of the US.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The key is ... finding another carrier. And, I believe that is not an option - right now - here in the USA (well, and get true 3G speed...). Outside the US, it's a different matter, which is why people can buy the AT&T version iPad and take it out of the US.

Marilyn

I believe T-Mobile offers the right kind of SIMs now, but because of the hardware differences you're limited to their Edge network and its lower speeds.

Most reactions

Latest posts