What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I save on ipad?

gempat2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am extensive user of Ipad 2 and not 3 but still consider them too expensive. Have tried to search for any bargains including a various price comparison sites such as BeatThatQuote.com, OfferBoffin.co.uk, Quitco, Amazon but could not find anything cheaper then on official apple site. Any suggestion? Thanks, Gemma

lmadore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are some sites out there selling refurbished IPADS, but if you are looking for new I believe Apple is setting the price structure.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
lmadore said:
There are some sites out there selling refurbished IPADS, but if you are looking for new I believe Apple is setting the price structure.

Agreed, other than independent sales if used iPads, everybody sells at the official price. Any sales are authorized by Apple.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have BestBuy in the UK? You can sometimes get an effective discount in the form of a BB gift voucher from them.

Just had a quick look at the UK Apple Store. No wonder it looks expensive. An iPad that costs $500 in Canada costs $636 in the UK at the present exchange rate. Wow.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I try to buy all my electronic goodies from best buy. For every x dollars I spent. I get some y dollars back to spent on new purchases. For example, when I bought my mini LTE, I had $60 worth of credits to apply. Plus, the purchase will earn me new credits that I can use on the next thing.

I will say that best buy used to suck so bad that I had to quit shopping there.....but when the iPads would come out I forced myself to return. The experience there has improved greatly. I still stay out of there most of the time. :)

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best Buy UK officially ceased trading in January after failing to make a profit from any of its 11 stores - some of which had only been open for six months. Main reason was crazy-high prices - even their 'closing down sale' prices were significantly higher than Amazon.

FWIW, UK prices on the Apple store include VAT @20%, so if you take that out of the equation then do the price conversion it usually works out with UK prices around 8% higher than in e.g. the US - it just costs a bit more to do business here, I guess.

HTH Pete

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe Apple keeps retailers on a short leash when it comes to pricing its products. I did a lot of price scouting before I purchased my iPad and prices where pretty much the same everywhere (not even online sellers were cheaper). I ended up getting it at a local store (Media Markt) on its VAT-free day.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BocataDeChoped said:
I believe Apple keeps retailers on a short leash when it comes to pricing its products. I did a lot of price scouting before I purchased my iPad and prices where pretty much the same everywhere (not even online sellers were cheaper). I ended up getting it at a local store (Media Markt) on its VAT-free day.

Stores like Best Buy can get around the Apple pricing rules when having a sale, by giving out free gift cards with the purchase, to be applied against other purchases in the store.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Stores like Best Buy can get around the Apple pricing rules when having a sale, by giving out free gift cards with the purchase, to be applied against other purchases in the store.

If you use BB correctly, they can save you money. Also, I have a 60-day return period there.

It all started when I bought a $1700 laptop from them for work....I got to become a platinum rewards member (I think that's what it's called).

Most reactions

Latest posts