What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can i print from my IPad2 using an Epson XP305 printer

Tregarth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just bought an Epson XP 305 printer to print from my iPad2. I have a Windows 7 laptop and found I had to connect the printer to it to load the software which I thought was odd since I wanted it to connect to an Apple iPad.

No matter, I have done it. I have put the iPad next to my Virgin wireless router and put the iPad on top of that so I have a strong set up signal. I have spotted the deliberate mistake in the Epson set up instructions and have managed to make the printer talk to the router. I downloaded a voucher and managed to find the printer options page - the iPad has found the printer, I can check ink levels and so on but when I press the Print icon nothing happens and when I go back to Printer Options no printer is listed so the iPad has to search for it again.

I am a Windows user (apologies for strong language) where I would normally set a printer as the default printer, but having looked at and read the iPad manual I do not see this option. Although I have a Windows laptop I use the iPad much more since it is much faster to start up and is more easy to use - except when trying to print!

My iPad2 has not been modified and I am sing iOs 6.1.3

I would be very grateful for any help to solve this problem,

Thank you.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
HiTregarth - welcome to the forum - please check on Apple's AirPrint HERE - this technology allows an iPad to connect to a compatible printer (w/ both on the same Wi-Fi network) - your Epson printer is NOT on the list, so you will need a 3rd party app on your computer to provide this printing ability - for several years, I have used FingerPrint - a free trial is available; the program resides on your computer and simulates 'Air Print' - nothing is needed on your iPad - let us know if this option works - good luck!

OP
T

Tregarth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

I have checked the AirPrint page as you suggest - the site is down for repair!!

My printer is wireless and according to Apple's list the 305 will work but it does not say what is needed to make it work.

I have always thought that the Apple OS and Windows Os are totally incompatible so I don't understand why I am loading printer drivers onto a Windows PC to make an Apple PC print.

For this reason I cannot see why I should load FingerPrint onto my windows PC, I do not want to switch on my windows PC to connect to my iPad so I can print from my wireless printer. Is this what FingerPrint does i.e I have the file on my iPad, I export it to my Win PC which then converts it and exports it wirelessly to my printer?

I aplogise for asking basic questions but I am having to change some fundamental understandings about Apple products. When AirPrint is restored I will read it carefully.

Again thank you for your help which is really apprecited.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello again - I was able to connect to the Apple AirPrint link a moment ago w/o a problem, so may be our locations; sorry about your trouble - however, I did check out a REVIEW of your printer which stated that the device can use 'Epson Connect' & is 'AirPrint Ready' - a number of printer makers offer their own connectivity solutions to mobile devices & tablets, so I'm assuming that is what Epson Connect accomplishes - not sure what 'AirPrint Ready' means - I have Canon & Brother printers; not sure 'why' your printer is not on the Apple list, but it may need to be updated?

FingerPrint is an easy concept to understand - just a small program that resides on your computer (nothing is needed on the iPad); I've used it for nearly 2 years on a Dell XP computer - as stated before, the program mimics AirPrint and is then recognized by the iPad permitting wireless printer. Now you may not need this program in view of the above. Good luck in our choice - sorry that I could not help. :)

OP
T

Tregarth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help. I will persevere and tell you what happens.

Best regards,

Ttegarth

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Initially, you need to "set-up" your printer on the wireless network, hence the set-up via PC. At some point in that set-up you will have to input the SSID and any wifi password you may have into the printer via the actual printer interface, if I recall.

Walking through the initial set-up will also get it going if you ever need to print or scan from your PC as well.

Once you have it on the wireless network, it should then show up as a printer on your iPad. Remember, they need to be on the same wifi network for it to work.

OP
T

Tregarth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your help.

I e-mailed Epson and this is their reply

Thank you for contacting EPSON's UK Customer Inter@ction Centre.

In response to your query, we recommend viewing the following Knowledge Base article for steps on setting up and using the Epson iPrint application:

http://kb.epson-europe.com/article.aspx?article=5224&p=7

You can also use our Knowledge Base to search for other articles relating to Epson products and services. After accessing the Knowledge Base via the article link above simply click on the 'Search' tab to search for more articles. Alternatively, go to Support - Epson, select your product and then click on Online Support & Manuals. (This bit is a bit too general and not that much use - MY Comment)

Browse through the articles or enter your search criteria and then click on the search button. Examples include your product model (e.g. SX400) and any keywords relating to your enquiry, such as 'ink cartridge', 'driver settings', 'Epson Scan' or any error message.

I have also downloaded 2 pieces of Software
1. Epson Printer Finder (which I now don't think is necessary) and
2. Epson iPrint (which I think is) I think this was from the Epson site.

When I started the printer in the little display window I saw "Wi-Fi Set Up" I selected OK and was shown a window "Wi-Fi Auto Connect" I thought this would connect the printer to my home Wi-Fi which was foolish - it does nothing. But I then found the next screen is "Wi-Fi Set up Wizard"
I selected this one; the printer scanned for all the networks near my house and found mine. I selected this one, entered my password (case sensitive), the printer connected and allowed me to print out a report. A green signal strength icon showed together with another odd looking one.

I then started up the iPad, went to an old e-mail, selected the on-screen "back arrow", a menu which included Print appeared; I used this and saw
Printer Options which listed my printer, touched Print and all is OK.

This may seem a bit long winded but in my experience if it doesn't work and I don't understand why panic sets in.

Good luck,

Tregarth

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for your help.

........When I started the printer in the little display window I saw "Wi-Fi Set Up" I selected OK and was shown a window "Wi-Fi Auto Connect" I thought this would connect the printer to my home Wi-Fi which was foolish - it does nothing. But I then found the next screen is "Wi-Fi Set up Wizard" I selected this one; the printer scanned for all the networks near my house and found mine. I selected this one, entered my password (case sensitive), the printer connected and allowed me to print out a report. A green signal strength icon showed together with another odd looking one.

I then started up the iPad, went to an old e-mail, selected the on-screen "back arrow", a menu which included Print appeared; I used this and saw
Printer Options which listed my printer, touched Print and all is OK.................

Well, congrats! I installed a new Canon printer (MX922) to our new iMac last week - pretty much the same story, i.e. entered the panel settings and drilled down to 'Network Setup' - found our home network, entered the passcode, & AirPrint was now activated - our iPads & my MBP printed wirelessly w/o a problem - nice to have that feature! Dave :)

P.S. Still need to use FingerPrint on the old PC & printers, which I moved to a back bedroom -
:D

xiaopipi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.britanniainks.co.uk
With AirPrint First you install airprint on the printer must be open shared the job, even if you originally shared printer on another machine or printer is a network printer, you must also be installed in your printer AirPrint machine open sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions