What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I keep my iPad safe from little fingers?

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackburn in NW of . . . . . . . . . . . . Engl
Hi guys,
I'm in a pretty strange situation here.
We get the grandkids round at the weekends and they are 6 and 8. At home, they have computer-like devices that they play their games on and they want to use my iPad 2 when they are here.
I can live with that but I have a concern. I can download a few games that are similar to the ones that they play at home and I can protect the iPad against any damage by limiting exactly WHERE they can use my beloved iPad by using a sort of screen mount attachment on a table meaning that they can't move it. So far so good but how can I stop them from gaining access to all the other Apps and doing something that won't make my next presentation a joy to behold? Can I put all of their games on one screen and restrict them to that particular screen?
Any ideas?
I would hate to have to individually block every App that I don't want them to have access to but it would be good to let them gain knowledge while they are here which is why I don't say to bring their own Fisher Price type of computer/gizmo.
Cheers,
Steve

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
you need a separate log-in system or individual login accounts (like on desk top computers) for this, which, as of yet, aren't available on the ipad. and Apple wont give individual devs this amount of power - it needs to be integrated into the ios itself, which i'm sure it will in the future.

so at the mo, supervision and trust is needed. same as i do with my 8 year old nephew.

OP
5teve

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackburn in NW of . . . . . . . . . . . . Engl
Supervision is always the best idea but how can you supervise one child on the iPad, one child watching TV and yet still have a meaningfull visit from your sons and daughters? If you stop them from playing you get a tantrum so that ain't a good idea so maybe an e-mail to Apple is in order.
Thanks for trying, guys.
Steve

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes another user account would be ideal for times like these. You can set some restrictions though on what they'll be able to do. Settings - Restrictions. You will need to input a 4 digit code to enable this. Have a look anyway, it will at least stop them deleting apps accidentally.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If they come over often enough, I would just buy another iPad just for them. Maybe an iPad 1, would be cheap enough.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ziffos said:
Simple - don't let them play on it :thumbs:

Yup!!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update From NYC using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts