How can i fix my ipad? screen is fuzzy with big gray lines that distort everything

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by angelot209, Nov 16, 2015.

1. angelot209

angelot209
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have been trying to see if anyone else has this same problem? i dont know what caused this. I want to know if i need to buy a new screen and digitizer? or if its just a loose wire. please help.

ps i have tried slapping it in the back but nothing.

Attached Files:

2. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a loose lcd connector or some board damage. What version of iPad is it and did anything happen prior to the display acting up?

3. angelot209

angelot209
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    it is an ipad 2. and i think it fell. maybe someone in my house dropped it. you think replacing the lcd and digitizer would fix the problem? or is this board damage unfixable?

4. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Odd, it doesn't look like an iPad 2 in the pic. Do you mean a mini 2? If it is an iPad 2 then it can be taken to a repair shop and have the LCD cable reconnected properly. Or if you have DIY Electronic experience, you could do it yourself with some help from sites like ifixit.com . I would not recommend this as your first repair project though as iPad repair can be trying of patience to say the least.

Now if it is a Mini 2, it might be a chip issue and not economically repairable. I had a mini 2 come across my bench looking similar to your pic and couldn't nail down what the cause was. Wound up telling the customer to take it to Apple for an Out of Warranty Replacement ($199 US).

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Probably and iPad 2. The buttons should be the same size on both. Eyeballing it the bottom of the iPad 2 should be about 8 from center to edge. The iPad Mini 2 is about 5. I've been watching beginner drawing lessons on Youtube, so I'm 'temporarily' tuned to that kind of thing.

6. Brian 244

Brian 244
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I still think it's a mini in that pic the width of the bezel on the sides and how it is countersunk in the aluminum frame screams mini or air to me. But I could be wrong ...

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    You're right. I was using an iPad Air for my comparison on this end. I forgot the iPad 2 had a wider bezel. Also, looking at it again, the button to width ratio is about right for what I said an iPad Mini 2 would have. No idea how I got everything turned around. Maybe that's why I need those drawing lessons. :)

8. angelot209

angelot209
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:

hey this is an ipad mini 2. i still have not found a fix. so you think its a chip issue?

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    As Brain said. It is almost certain to be a harware issue; lose cable or damaged display chips.

If you haven't done so you cna try a reset (hold down the home and power button until the Apple logo appears), but if that doesn't fix it, then there's nothing else you can do except take it to Apple or another (certified) repair center and get their oppinion.

Or, you can try fixing it. Yourself. Decdent instructions can be found at the ifixit.com site. But be warned, this takes some basic tech skills, a lot of patience, and the abiltiy to follow instrucions to the T; with no guarnateed results.

I've never felt the urge to try it myself. Or to be more precise, I've never had a broken iPad that I thought was worth the trouble.

10. angelot209

angelot209
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    dang I'm going to try and open it then. do you know of what I should be looking for? sucks how this stuff happens.