What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I easily iPad-print in my truck?...

OP
J

John L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another hassle I can see me having is that apparently when IPad has wifi turned on (to use the router, and reach the printer) ... I won't be able to access the Internet with the iPad. At least not until I disable wifi under settings so that the iPad switches to Internet over 3G once again.

If this setup is to work for me, I need Internet too. Does anyone know if this is how it has to be?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another hassle I can see me having is that apparently when IPad has wifi turned on (to use the router, and reach the printer) ... I won't be able to access the Internet with the iPad. At least not until I disable wifi under settings so that the iPad switches to Internet over 3G once again.

If this setup is to work for me, I need Internet too. Does anyone know if this is how it has to be?

Almost all devices and computers are limited to a single network connection at a time. The iPad is no exception. To have both the internet and the printer available at the same time you have to provide both on the same network connection.

You'll either have to replace the AirPort with a 3G hotspot device, or tether/route a 3g hotspot device through the Airport. I'm not sure how (or if) the second option is possible.

mhorvatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please check the solution called Walk'n'Print (walknprint dot com), there is a solution for portable printing from iPad to portable printing devices from Canon and HP.
The solution itself as well as the supported portable printers run on batteries as well as on 12V AC car charger.

keithwhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to be able to print paper invoices in my truck. An inverter to power the necessary hardware isnt a problem. My question is...

Will an Airprint enabled printer connected via USB to an Airport Express (without an internet connection) satisfy the iPads airprint/wifi connection requirements and work for me? I really need a solution to this.

Actually, there's a much more elegant solution ... I've been happily printing for a while from my iPad to my battery-operated HP H470 with absolutely no wires (and no router / pre-existing WiFi connection - it operates in AdHoc mode). Literally just the iPad and the H470 - in fact, one time in a marquee in the middle of a muddy field with no power and a long way from the nearest WiFi connection, so it can be done from literally anywhere.

I couldn't find any info on a true mobile printing solution for iPad (or iPhone/iPod for that matter) but felt sure it must be possible, somehow - so once I'd sorted it all out, I wrote down the solution and the steps to get it to work in the hope of helping others:

http://genuinely-original.blogspot.com/search/label/iPad Printing

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Keith

Most reactions

Latest posts