What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How about an iPad Maxi?

Sickrat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am well over the hill, my eyesight is going south, and I could use a 13-15 inch iPad (a Maxi?).
Actually, I had bought an iPad 2 a year ago, but web browsing strained my eyes too much with a 10' screen, so I handed it down to my niece.
The point is, I stay online a lot, but rather that sitting at a desk or using a laptop that, with a 9:16 non-pivot screen, is a horrible internet experience, I could lounge on my sofa with a tablet, provided its screen is big enough to be readable.
No big dpi count is needed, 2048 by 1536 will do nicely. Basically, it could use regular iPad chipset, only with a larger screen and battery.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You'll have to ask Apple, but I saw a tablet like this (or what was it a PC?) on a cNet video a few days ago. Ah, it was a Sony AIO PC with a huge touch screen so you could run it using your hands.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Moving this to the General Discussion area. You have currently started this thread in the Special Needs Forum for our members and their families to discuss health care related tips, discussions for their health needs.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Interesting.

What are peeps's interests in say a 12 or 13 inch ipad? Considering it would be relatively very thin and light it might sound like a very appealing suggestion, apart from cost maybe.

I'd personally prefer a 13 inch ipad than a 13 inch mb pro, even tho they'd be 2 different animals

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting.

What are peeps's interests in say a 12 or 13 inch ipad? Considering it would be relatively very thin and light it might sound like a very appealing suggestion, apart from cost maybe.

I'd personally prefer a 13 inch ipad than a 13 inch mb pro, even tho they'd be 2 different animals

G'day sjlewerthy,and I would be standing right behind you, in what, I would suspect might be rather a long line, to have something that you could proudly say "I have an iPad" and then enjoy a nice 13" model on an evening lounging in your arm chair.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
Interesting.

Nah, that would kill the portability and lap factor for me. I believe the current size of the iPad is just about a perfect blend of size, weight, and portability. On the other hand, anything much smaller than the current iPad is too small for me. I don't get how people can use phones as much as they do but to each their own. If the device gets much bigger than it is now, they'll have to change the name of it to like the imonitor or the iTV. ;)

iPad2 32GB WiFi / iOS 6.0

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the device gets much bigger than it is now, they'll have to change the name of it to like the imonitor or the iTV. ;)

G' day mikey, LOL I know I indicated somewhere it probably would be nice to have a 13" iPad to relax with of an evening. How hilarious is it to have my iPad the size of myTV? I rest my iPad on my err convenient midriff. My TV is a Panasonic 58". Could they bring out a "guilliotine" iPad?
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Obviously, it's not, for some users. When your presbyopia passes a certain point, you'll want a larger screen, too. I added a bookmarklet to Safari to bump up the font size as required; it's a PITA because it only affects the current page, but it rescues some sites from utter unreadability.

Imagine how much better the keyboard could be on a 13” screen. Number keys!

An iPad maxi (surely Apple would pick a less smirk-provoking name!) would not replace a smaller tablet, but might be a better tool for sofa surfers who don't need portability as much as legibility.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
noelmcgrath said:
I'm not exactly going to pull out a 15" laptop when I'm knocking on someone's door am I.. It's not to practical is it

Agreed. The entire concept of a tablet is based on portability and being able to operate while in ones hands. Anything much bigger than what's out there now kills all of that. Not to mention battery life issues that plague laptops.

The current iPad is the perfect size, IMO.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that people who want such a device as a larger iPad haven't thought about such things as the cost, weight, and battery life. Such a tablet would weigh several pounds and would be quite impractical in use.

Jdhiker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ummm yeah I don't think I would like to tell all my buddies that now I have a maxi pad!

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
but you guys are all thinking of yourselves and not the general population. We can all do that. i certainly would LOVE a 13 or 15 inch ipad! would suit me personally down to the ground. you cant (and i cant) tell someone else thats impracticable! An A3 sized ipad would be an instant winner for me. i hate laptops, but love tablets, especially working as a graphics designer.

and yes, costs and weight and battery life would be effected, but heck, these things would all be refined and cheapened over a short time of course. look how all apple's other hardwares evolve.

but it's Apple's call, and yep, it probably wont happen, but if it did, i'm sure they'd obviously sell a billion as usual. the option would be nice.

Last edited:

Jdhiker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many would buy it anyway just because they had to have it.
It doesn't matter what Apple puts out. Just if they do people will buy

Most reactions

Latest posts