What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hotspot with iPhone 4S to iPad 2 wifi only

choPppps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

New hear,,,, hello.

I'm wondering if there is a best practice to follow when using my iPhone 4s as a hotspot to the iPad 2 wifi only.

1) Very unstable if I use this process:
- Turn wifi on, on the iPad
- Turn hotspot on on iPhone and when prompted, turn on wifi
Always unstable on very often won't connect this way. Same issue with my iPhone and my wife's 4g.

2) Seams a lot better if done this way:
- leave the wifi on all time on the iPhone 4s
- turn on wifi, on the iPad
- turn on the hotspot on the iPhone

Is number 2 a better practice to follow, or should it always work either way? I have done complete factory resets, reset the network and a restore. Number 2 just seams better.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect that the difference you're seeing is either coincidental or a timing problem with the two devices (i.e. seeking a wifi signal from the iPad. Can't find it. Subsequently becomes available. iPad should see it at that point but there may be some problems with the "seeking software" that has already failed to find a signal.)

In any event, if the latter approach works well for you the only downside is "leave the wifi on all (the) time on the iPhone 4s." Unless you're plugged into a charger this will deplete your iPhone battery faster than usual. If you haven't done so, try this. Don't leave wifi on all the time on your phone. Just turn it on and before you plan to tether. (Unless you're using the wifi on your phone for other purposes.) Then follow the steps you've outlined in option 2.

OP
C

choPppps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hotspotting with WIFI still sucks,,, using bluetooth almost exclusively now.

Most reactions

Latest posts