What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hotel Wi-Fi

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my iPad 4 Wi-Fi for a few months now but have never used it on a Public Hotspot before. I'm getting ready to go to my neice's wedding and will be staying in a hotel for a couple of days (in US) and would like to take my iPad just to browse the internet and check my email (using it's mail app).

How dangerous is this and is there anything in particular I should do or would you advise me just to leave my iPad at home?

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your hotel allows it, use VPN as it will keep browsing safe and within the hotel's own 'boundaries'. For email, I would suggest turning on SSL through setting>mail>advanced

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I already use my email with SSL turned on but could you explain how to go about using VPN whatever that is?

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. You're not going to catch a virus, because there aren't any for iPad. Your privacy is already hopelessly compromised by having an email account. Enjoy yourself, enjoy your iPad.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I already use my email with SSL turned on but could you explain how to go about using VPN whatever that is?

Hi Mike - my iPad 2 replaced my laptop as our 'travel computer' nearly two years ago - we invariably stay at places w/ Wi-Fi, typically 'open' networks so no security like on your home network; BUT, we've not made 'super-special' efforts except 'save' surfing - our main goals are to check email, explore local attractions, and check a few of our forums - no purchases, banking, etc. VPN = Virtual Private Network, a tunneling protocol that encrypts your exchanges (in the past the only way that I could connect to my work network). I've also used a 'travel router' (own the Zuni Connect shown below) which permits you to setup a local Wi-Fi network even w/ security - might be a consideration if you are that concerned; and there are other options - I guess that you need to define your own level of ease which will become easier w/ more experience - good luck! Dave :)

B004T8FC66.jpg

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Me too, i wont worry about it. I always connect on public wifis at Mc Donald's, other food chains, coffee shops. etc, Just enjoy your stay there. Cheers! ;)

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I go about finding the local network for where I am (hotel, McDonald's, coffee shops, etc.) on the iPad?

Simply turn on wifi and it'll show up with a list of wifi addresses, so look for the one that matches the name of where you are. If it doesn't match, just ask an employee.

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies it doesn't sound like I should be all that concerned I love my iPad too much not to take and enjoy.

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just curious and for my knowledge if a person didn't care about checking their email and turned it off on the iPad does this significantly raise the security level on a unsecured (Wi-Fi) Public Network?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just curious and for my knowledge if a person didn't care about checking their email and turned it off on the iPad does this significantly raise the security level on a unsecured (Wi-Fi) Public Network?

Hi again Mike - the iPad is quite safe 'on the road' - just be diligent and no reason to not check your email (I hate returning from a trip w/ dozens if not a hundred or more messages, most of which is junk!) - also, keep in mind that most (should be all) of these email services check attachments anyway (I use Yahoo which employs Norton for their email attachment checks). Also, see the list below from Mark Chambers recent book - nothing new but concise - yes, just some common sense - think twice then act once! Let us know your experience - Dave :)

Common Sense on the Web (Mark Chambers - OS X Mtn Lion; 2012)- Never download from a site you don't trust
- Never open an email attachment until checked
- Never enter personal information (PI) into an email
- Never enter PI in a website provided as a link in an email
- Never include any PI in an Internet newsgroup post
- Never buy from an online store w/o an encrypted connection
- Never divulge PI to others over a Messages connection

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I always travel with my iPad and use it for browsing, email and check out the news and use Skype .I have even watched french ( I'm french;-) ) TV news on my iPad in India and Peru !
But I never , ever go on my banks website or anything that requires PI as Giradman told you .
Enjoy your iPad !

New2TheGame

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would not worry too much about that. There is always a possibility that a network traffic sniffer is "watching" but with SSL and/or VPN I would not give it much thought.

Most reactions

Latest posts