Hotel Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by mike2874, Aug 14, 2013.

1. mike2874

mike2874
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I've had my iPad 4 Wi-Fi for a few months now but have never used it on a Public Hotspot before. I'm getting ready to go to my neice's wedding and will be staying in a hotel for a couple of days (in US) and would like to take my iPad just to browse the internet and check my email (using it's mail app).

How dangerous is this and is there anything in particular I should do or would you advise me just to leave my iPad at home?

2. HardMetalAlchemy

HardMetalAlchemy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    If your hotel allows it, use VPN as it will keep browsing safe and within the hotel's own 'boundaries'. For email, I would suggest turning on SSL through setting>mail>advanced

3. mike2874

mike2874
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I already use my email with SSL turned on but could you explain how to go about using VPN whatever that is?

4. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't worry about it. You're not going to catch a virus, because there aren't any for iPad. Your privacy is already hopelessly compromised by having an email account. Enjoy yourself, enjoy your iPad.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Mike - my iPad 2 replaced my laptop as our 'travel computer' nearly two years ago - we invariably stay at places w/ Wi-Fi, typically 'open' networks so no security like on your home network; BUT, we've not made 'super-special' efforts except 'save' surfing - our main goals are to check email, explore local attractions, and check a few of our forums - no purchases, banking, etc. VPN = Virtual Private Network, a tunneling protocol that encrypts your exchanges (in the past the only way that I could connect to my work network). I've also used a 'travel router' (own the Zuni Connect shown below) which permits you to setup a local Wi-Fi network even w/ security - might be a consideration if you are that concerned; and there are other options - I guess that you need to define your own level of ease which will become easier w/ more experience - good luck! Dave :)

B004T8FC66.jpg

6. alicepattinson

alicepattinson
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Me too, i wont worry about it. I always connect on public wifis at Mc Donald's, other food chains, coffee shops. etc, Just enjoy your stay there. Cheers! ;)

7. DaStatMan

DaStatMan
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    How do I go about finding the local network for where I am (hotel, McDonald's, coffee shops, etc.) on the iPad?

8. HardMetalAlchemy

HardMetalAlchemy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Simply turn on wifi and it'll show up with a list of wifi addresses, so look for the one that matches the name of where you are. If it doesn't match, just ask an employee.

9. mike2874

mike2874
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the replies it doesn't sound like I should be all that concerned I love my iPad too much not to take and enjoy.

10. mike2874

mike2874
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Just curious and for my knowledge if a person didn't care about checking their email and turned it off on the iPad does this significantly raise the security level on a unsecured (Wi-Fi) Public Network?