What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hopeful iPad buyer seeking help to determine minimum RAM

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is really hard to know unless you are a known computer/techno junky. If you are not, then I suggest you go by what you can afford. A lot of folks can be happy with the 16GB version, but the 32GB is a good option if it is not a hardship to afford it. If you rip your own movies and music already, or play lots of computer games, are just like to be able to do lots of things, both work and play, and can afford it, then the 64GB is the way to go.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And, as mentioned before, RAM is not a buyer-selectable option on the iPad. You get 256 MB of RAM in the iPad1, the iPad2 has 512 MB and the iPad3 clocks in at 1 GB. Do note that none of these have ever been acknowledged by Apple - they've all been deduced by breakdowns done by independent people. Apple never has divulged RAM numbers for their iDevices.

So, given that, you have to decide which device would suit your purpose. Setting aside the iPad1 (because it's no longer sold new), if you play graphics intensive games or use apps with a lot of data or pictures, you'll want the iPad3. The iPad2 will be good, but obviously it doesn't have as much RAM. So, TBH, both the iPad2 and the iPad3 would be fine, RAM-wise.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Possible consideration:

I've noticed on my various iDevices (including iPad 1 and 2, and several generations of iPhone and touch), that each firmware upgrade seems to tax RAM more (general slowing of apps, more freezes or crashes). And with each firmware upgrade, developers update their apps to take advantage of new firmware features.

Knowing that, I would recommend getting the latest model iPad for its 1GB of RAM and other improvements of its innards over iPad 1 and 2. Also, with each latest model of any iDevice, you stand a better chance of longer firmware upgrades.

Word is, iOS 6 is just around the corner. iPad 1 won't get that firmware upgrade. iPad 2 will get it, but not Siri. iPad 3 will get the whole package. You might not care about a specific feature like Siri, but I mention this to offer context that might help new buyers decide. (When I buy any device, I consider current features, as well as lifespan of hardware, firmware and app access.) Also, with each firmware upgrade, developers are generally less apt to keep supporting older versions of apps. Depending on what apps you use, that might leave you with fewer options on iPad 1 or 2 vs. 3, for example.

If I were buying now and choosing among iPad 1, 2 or the new iPad, I wouldn't hesitate to get the latest model. If money were tight, I just wouldn't get an iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts