What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HooToo TripMate Nano review

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The TripMate Nano from HooToo is one of those multifunctional devices that you didn't realise you needed until you tried it. This is essentially a tiny, travel wireless n router that can turn an existing ethernet connection into a Wireless one, allow multiple wireless clients to connect or to wirelessly share files from a USB source. It can also be used to extend an existing WiFi connection.

In the box you will find the TripMate Nano, a user manual and a micro USB cable which is used to supply power. The TripMate is manufactured from plastic and measures in at 51mm x 56mm and sits 18mm tall - all wrapped up in a package weighing only 82g.

On top are two LEDs, one blue to indicate the unit is powering up and when available and one green to indicate if it is connected to the Internet. On the front is a handy reset button alongside a USB port for sharing the content of any connected USB drive. On the left you will find a switch to alternate between the source network of Ethernet or Wireless as well as a micro USB port for power and an Ethernet port for connecting to a wired network. Thoughtfully, on the underside is a white label that holds relevant information relating to default user name, Wifi password and IP address - you can literally plug this in and get connected without the need to look to the user manual. Speaking of which, the manual is excellent, being both detailed and also well illustrated.

Once powered on, you connect to the TripMate via it's Wifi network. When you select this Wifi network, you just need to plug in the default security key of '11111111' and you are now connected. As this point, you will have a few options depending on how you wish to use the TripMate. If you are extending a wired network that you are connected to via Ethernet, you will now have access to this and if you have a USB drive plugged into the TripMate, you will now be able to access that content. If you wish to connect the TripMate to a Wireless network, you will most likely need to administrate this to select the correct Wifi and enter any required password and this can be done via the built in web server or the app if you are using the likes of iOS or Android.

In my testing, I used the iOS app on my iPad to access a thumb drive of content and the app performed very well with instant access and quick navigation. The app lets you manage files on the connected USB drive such as deleting, downloading to your device or playing them back. For video files, the app only supports the normal Apple supported formats such as mp4 which play back instantly, for other formats, it will prompt you to open in another app. You also have the option of browsing your device and uploading the likes of images and videos from the camera roll to the connected USB drive which is a great way of backing up images when travelling.

The app also supports a settings panel which lets you do some limited actions such as renaming your wireless connection, changing security options and upgrading the firmware. You can also use the settings to set up a connection to an existing Wifi network.

The TripMate supports both uPNP/DNLA and Samba sharing which is great for using third party apps that support these methods. I used my video playing app of choice, nPlayer which has great network support, to connect to the TripMate. This lets me browse the contents of a connected USB drive and stream back practically any video format regardless of whether it is officially supported by Apple.

You also have the option of using any web browser to connect to the TripMate's built in web server by simply tapping in the IP address of 10.10.10.254 into the URL bar. This gives you full access to the TripMate allowing you to administrate things such as user names and passwords, get connected USB drive information, manage network connections, enable or disable the file sharing options and system options such as backing up settings or upgrading the firmware.
While the included user manual is good, I recommend going onto the HooToo website for some extensive PDF guides for the various Smartphone apps as well as the main unit itself.
I've used similar products that are battery powered making them both larger and heavier and don't include an Ethernet port. The TripMate nano requires power but means it is a lot smaller and lighter and due it's requirement for a tethered power connection, adding an optional Ethernet port makes sense. Any USB port can be used as a power supply so a USB wall charger or laptop can be used but you also have the option of using a battery power bank if you will be on the go without access to another power source so you don't need to lose out on any flexibility when out and about. It's a great tool for the traveller who may be holed up in a hotel room with only an Ethernet connection or even for sharing USB content round at a friend's house and it is easy to pair it with a car USB charger to give you a Wifi connection to share media content with the family on a road trip. The name TripMate is very apt here and if you can think of a use for it, the nano is a great gadget to have with you.

I got this from http://www.amazon.co.uk/HooToo-TripM...+tripmate+nano

Video review:

Attachments

• Hootoo Tripmate nano review 1.jpg
    Hootoo Tripmate nano review 1.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 920
  • Hootoo Tripmate nano review 2.jpg
    Hootoo Tripmate nano review 2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,401
  • Hootoo Tripmate nano review 3.jpg
    Hootoo Tripmate nano review 3.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 872
Last edited:

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The tripmate has a document folder. In it I have put an epub, which can be read by iBooks, but when I try and open or copy the document the tripmate says that it cannot read it.

Any suggestions, please?

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The tripmate has a document folder. In it I have put an epub, which can be read by iBooks, but when I try and open or copy the document the tripmate says that it cannot read it.

Any suggestions, please?

Is it the nano you are using? What are you attaching to it for storage? A USB pendrive or harddrive or a card reader with an SD card or similar?

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That was quick!

Yes nano as reviewed above. I have loaded a heap of docs, photos, videos and music onto a usb memory stick. Connecting via wireless, obviously, I can play videos, PDFs, photos as on the nano, but not epubs.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Btw, I have copied the ePub across to the iPad via the tripmate s/w, but it is still sandboxed inside the tripmate s/w on the iPad. (No open with... As far as I can see.)

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Where did you source the ePubs from? Are all the other file types working okay?

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Various sources. None are drm'd. They have been used in iBooks, but what I planned to was move them off the iPad to a thumb stick.

A bit of experimenting has shown something. There are two apps for the tripmate in the App Store. I took the 'plus, one, assuming it to be the newer. I have just tried the other one. If I douuble tap and hold; wait several seconds, the 'open with ...' appears. Keeping my finger on the doc and using another finger to double tap the iboos icon, Lo and behold the doc opens in iBooks! (Tapping has to be really fast!)

Triedtis on the 'plus' app and I cannot get the copy to'

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sent too quick!
....I cannot get the 'copy to' to appear.

The 'plus' app has a cloud symbol whereas the, what I assume to be earlier, app has a wireless symbol.

Version on the nano is ....18. I see on their website a ...26 version not sure whether to try it or perhaps email the authors first.

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It sounds like a software issue. I would upgrade to the latest firmware as a mater of course but do you have another file app you can try such as FileBrowser or GoodReader? Readdle's Documents may work too and is free if you don't have the others. If you connect to the Tripmate using one of those apps you should be able to manipulate the files and move them around, open in etc.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good idea. I'll try them. Thank you, Donka, for the suggestions. (Just emailing Hootoo as well to see what they say.)

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NP, let us know how you get on. I'm sure the other apps will be fine for you - I normally use third party apps with these portable file sharing devices and don't encounter any issues.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FileBrowser gets there wonderfully. Thanks, again. I'll post if anything comes back from hootoo.

pcurry463

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a problem with my hootoo trip mate in which i have connected a Seagate 2TB Harddrive to it but when i open the app for it on my IMac, and go to look at the files, it does not allow me to do anything e.g. when a click on create a folder it says for me to select a folder first (even though no folders are displayed)? Furthermore everytime i try filesharing through the mac it keeps giving me an error message saying "Connection failed". However i am defiantely connected to it as im currently also using it as a bridge for the internet?

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you checked the max disc size? My tripmate nano has an upper limit of 64gb, which I noticed after I had bought a 64gb usb memory stick, having wavered on a 128gb one

Most reactions