What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hook up to wi fi

LiamB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good day people, I have a question, and |I hope someone can confirm this or if I'm wrong which is apparently more often than not according to my Daughter and Wife.
Anyway my daughter has come back from Uni with an I Pad that she bought cheap, and cannot get it to connect with my Wi Fi. I think the Pad is a series 1 as there is no camera on board and unlike mine it has a SIM slot, so based on that, I said that it needed a SIM on board to activate with my router. She said that she was told it didn't need a SIM to connect to any local WiFi connection, but we cannot get on line.
So can anyone help. Does it need a SIM to be able to go on line, or if not why do you think it won't connect, we go into settings chose the WIIFI option and it gives us the two ISPs detected, then we choose the one we use, and enter the password which produces the message not recognised, yet it works on my I pad which is a Mark 2 as it has a camera and no Sim.
Can someone please help with this question so we can either get a SIM or do whatever we have to get her on line as she is a pain in the ass at the moment
Thank you

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good day people, I have a question, and |I hope someone can confirm this or if I'm wrong which is apparently more often than not according to my Daughter and Wife. Anyway my daughter has come back from Uni with an I Pad that she bought cheap, and cannot get it to connect with my Wi Fi. I think the Pad is a series 1 as there is no camera on board and unlike mine it has a SIM slot, so based on that, I said that it needed a SIM on board to activate with my router. She said that she was told it didn't need a SIM to connect to any local WiFi connection, but we cannot get on line. So can anyone help. Does it need a SIM to be able to go on line, or if not why do you think it won't connect, we go into settings chose the WIIFI option and it gives us the two ISPs detected, then we choose the one we use, and enter the password which produces the message not recognised, yet it works on my I pad which is a Mark 2 as it has a camera and no Sim. Can someone please help with this question so we can either get a SIM or do whatever we have to get her on line as she is a pain in the ass at the moment Thank you

You don't need a SIM to authenticate your wifi, just the password.

However, its not quite possible to understand what the problem is here. How can a wifi not be recognized? Could you please quote the exact message that is displayed?

Here are some things you can try :

1. RESET : Press and hold the home and power button simultaneously for 20 seconds until Apple logo appears. Switch wifi off before doing this and switch it back on again after your iPad restarts.

2. From your routers security settings, change from WEP to WPA with AES.

3. RENEW IP ADDRESS :
a. Launch Settings app and go to wifi.
b. Tap on the blue 'i' and then tap on Renew lease option.

Please post back on whether this helped or not. Good luck!

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If abababababab's great advice doesn't help, try resetting network settings in Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings. Then try setting it up again.

Also reset the router, which means: turn it off, wait for a few minutes and turn it on again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also;

The first generation iPad had a more limited wi-fi radio than newer models. It is possible, though not likely, that your router is operating exclusively in modes and frequencies that the iPad 1 can't not use.

Most default setups for routers will actually create multiple/parallel hotspots that support both early, slower wi-fi protocols along side the newer protocols. However, this can be overridden.

Like I said, this is highly unlikely to be the cause; but if nothing else works and you know how, or you know someone who knows how to check your router settings, it may be worth investigating. If your router is supplied by your internet provider, they should be able to check out your settings.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Let us know if any of the great advice you have received has enabled you to connect to wifi!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Last edited:
OP
L

LiamB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't need a SIM to authenticate your wifi, just the password.

However, its not quite possible to understand what the problem is here. How can a wifi not be recognized? Could you please quote the exact message that is displayed?

Here are some things you can try :

1. RESET : Press and hold the home and power button simultaneously for 20 seconds until Apple logo appears. Switch wifi off before doing this and switch it back on again after your iPad restarts.

2. From your routers security settings, change from WEP to WPA with AES.

3. RENEW IP ADDRESS :
a. Launch Settings app and go to wifi.
b. Tap on the blue 'i' and then tap on Renew lease option.

Please post back on whether this helped or not. Good luck!
Hi and thanks for the help, I will explain what has happened although I do feel a little stupid, we were putting in the wrong pass word. My daughter was calling out the pass word and got it wrong, and I never thought to check, after all she went to Uni I didn't I'm just an aerospace engineer. So when she writes longhand she writes her G's like this "q" with no curled tail, and was calling out g instead of Q. So hours of trying to figure this out, and reading and following all the posts, were all for nothing, if you have the wrong pass word . I didn't check what she was reading until she went to her boyfriends for the weekend and I went over everything form switching on to loading, and saw we were using the wrong pass word, first try with the right pass word and everything went according to plan. So once again thank you to everyone who tried to help solve the problem a brilliant response and thanks again.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the help, I will explain what has happened although I do feel a little stupid, we were putting in the wrong pass word. My daughter was calling out the pass word and got it wrong, and I never thought to check, after all she went to Uni I didn't I'm just an aerospace engineer. So when she writes longhand she writes her G's like this "q" with no curled tail, and was calling out g instead of Q. So hours of trying to figure this out, and reading and following all the posts, were all for nothing, if you have the wrong pass word . I didn't check what she was reading until she went to her boyfriends for the weekend and I went over everything form switching on to loading, and saw we were using the wrong pass word, first try with the right pass word and everything went according to plan. So once again thank you to everyone who tried to help solve the problem a brilliant response and thanks again.

Haha you're welcome! Always nice laughing a bit aint it?:D

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh that is rather funny!

And you're not the only one to have this happen to them with passwords.....we had our own episode of this where the letter G was confused with a 6. We too were scratching our heads for a while!

Thank you for letting us know and I'm so glad you finally figured it out!

Most reactions