What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home sharing

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought is was possible to stream music from iTunes on PC to iPad2. Have diligently gone thru process Inc. Firewall settings. Have reset modem. What more can a poor guy do? :p:p

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assume that you have a wifi network at home and that the iPad and PC are connected to it.

Turn on Home sharing in iTunes on the PC.
Open "Ipod" on the iPad then select the library that you want to use (Touch the word Library at the top left of the screen and select the name of the library on the PC). By default the iPad will always try to use it's in built library which I find a pain as I have no music on mine I only ever use the home sharing one. It works perfectly for me I use it all the time for podcasts.

Last edited:
OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
K1W1 said:
I assume that you have a wifi network at home and that the iPad and PC are connected to it.

Turn on Home sharing in iTunes on the PC.
Open "Ipod" on the iPad then select the library that you want to use (Touch the word Library at the top left of the screen and select the name of the library on the PC). By default the iPad will always try to use it's in built library which I find a pain as I have no music on mine I only ever use the home sharing one. It works perfectly for me I use it all the time for podcasts.

Thanks K1W1"...".... But have tried that. Touching "Library" bring up nothing.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drover said:
Been there, done it, thanks, Gabriel. Didn't get the T shirt. Should I delete the library I have on iPad?

So in your iPod app you click on more then shared and there is nothing there.......hmm, I'll have to think about this.......hopefully someone will have come up with the answer before the sun rises here, if not I'll see if I can think of something (for think of something read make something up!)

The Archangel

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
So in your iPod app you click on more then shared and there is nothing there.......hmm, I'll have to think about this.......hopefully someone will have come up with the answer before the sun rises here, if not I'll see if I can think of something (for think of something read make something up!)

The Archangel

Maybe try making it up. 1.25am here. Was hoping to resolve this myself but I am flu mixed.

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drover said:
Maybe try making it up. 1.25am here. Was hoping to resolve this myself but I am flu mixed.

There is not a "more" button on my iPod screen. Just shows music synced and a playlist I set up on iPad.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lets do a couple of really basic things just to make sure nothing has been missed.

You have a wifi network at home? yes or no

Your iPad connects to the network and can access the Internet via the router? yes or no

Your PC connects to the same router either via wired or wifi and can access the Internet? yes or no

You have a current version of iTunes on the PC, 10.x? yes or no

You have turned on Home sharing on iTunes? yes or no

You are using the same Apple ID and password on iTunes as you use on your iPad? yes or no

The answer to every one of those questions should be yes. If it is I'm stuffed if it's not then we will know where the problem is.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, iTunes must actually be running on the PC. If iTunes is not open, it won't advertise the availability of the library.

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Also, iTunes must actually be running on the PC. If iTunes is not open, it won't advertise the availability of the library.

Thanks, but I have it running on the desktop which has the iTunes library used for syncing with iPad and my iPod. Have it on most of the time as, like most Apple things, it os slow to open on PC. Have Bonjour service too as I am told it is required for Home Sharing.

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
K1W1 said:
Lets do a couple of really basic things just to make sure nothing has been missed.

You have a wifi network at home? yes or no

Your iPad connects to the network and can access the Internet via the router? yes or no

Your PC connects to the same router either via wired or wifi and can access the Internet? yes or no

You have a current version of iTunes on the PC, 10.x? yes or no

You have turned on Home sharing on iTunes? yes or no

You are using the same Apple ID and password on iTunes as you use on your iPad? yes or no

The answer to every one of those questions should be yes. If it is I'm stuffed if it's not then we will know where the problem is.

Well, mate, I think you are stuffed! Already checked all your questions. Even checked Bonjour is on. Reset router. Even have iTunes 10.4!

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
maybe got slightly confused between terms iPad and iPad. yes, there is more button on actual iPod but no shared items. on iPad and going into iPod icon there is no 'more' botton and no shared libraries.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You should get a house icon next to the library in the ipod app when there is shared libraries available. I'm at work at the moment so I can't check if you need to actually press the house icon or pressing library allows you to select shared libraries. No house icon means its not seeing your shared library.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
You should get a house icon next to the library in the ipod app when there is shared libraries available. I'm at work at the moment so I can't check if you need to actually press the house icon or pressing library allows you to select shared libraries. No house icon means its not seeing your shared library.

You can touch either the word Library or the house icon doing either opens the select library dialogue.

Most reactions