What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Sharing

MadiPadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to set up Home sharing between iPad 2 and PC. I've entered ID in both but the iPad doesn't recongnize the share folder in the iPod Library.
I can double tap the Library and the pop-up window doesn't pop-up. I get nothin.

thanks
JM

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MadiPadDog said:
Trying to set up Home sharing between iPad 2 and PC. I've entered ID in both but the iPad doesn't recongnize the share folder in the iPod Library.
I can double tap the Library and the pop-up window doesn't pop-up. I get nothin.

thanks
JM

Are you talking about sharing via Bluetooth? If so I don't believe the iPad recognizes most Bluetooth device types. I know it does a keyboard and I think it does a camera. Beyond that I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure it won't recognize mice or share folders.

Reaction score
The solution must be something basic, so please bare with me, while we check a few points.

Are the PC and iPad on the same wifi network? It suffices, if the PC is connected via Ethernet cable to the wifi router.

In iTunes (PC), have you turned on HomeSharing under Advanced?
On the iPad, have you entered your Apple ID under Settings->iPod->Home Sharing

OP
M

MadiPadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The solution must be something basic, so please bare with me, while we check a few points.

Are the PC and iPad on the same wifi network? It suffices, if the PC is connected via Ethernet cable to the wifi router.

In iTunes (PC), have you turned on HomeSharing under Advanced?
On the iPad, have you entered your Apple ID under Settings->iPod->Home Sharing

Sharing the same wifi, the pc is etherent connected to the wireless router.
Homesharing turned on in iPad and PC, with the same login ID.

thanks

Reaction score
Yes, wifi of course.

Do you happen to have movies in iTunes? Then we could test, whether the issue is related to the iPod app, or if it a general connection problem.

In Videos, a new tab Shared should appear. Is that true for you?

thegreatone3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having the exact same issue as MadiPad. Everything set up and turned on, iOS devices (iPhone 4 & iPad with same Apple ID) showing no shared folder. Something to do with Bonjour?

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

scwazrh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this problem before and tried it with a different router and then everything worked.Also couldn't get the apple remote app to work at the time.Still dont know what the problem was but it was definitely router related.

Reaction score
scwazrh said:
I had this problem before and tried it with a different router and then everything worked.Also couldn't get the apple remote app to work at the time.Still dont know what the problem was but it was definitely router related.

Sorry, I am out of here. I just ~ hate ~ troubleshooting router related issues. :D

If a good ol' restart of the router doesn't help, then goodnight.

OP
M

MadiPadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I checked some of that but I'll have to spend some time on all of it.

I guess what I don't understand is about how the iPad even knows to look for a shared folder. I enabled sharing, but now does the iPad search for a shared folder? When does it do this and how? When I enabled sharing, nothing changed on the iPad. I'm old school and need to see things chugging away to know they're working. I see nothing going on. I'm also not getting any options to look for more folders when I double tap "Library" in the iPad's iPod app.

I don't get it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It does not look for a shared folder. iTunes broadcasts it's availability by some means that I am not technically knowledgeable enough to describe.

BTW, for sharing to occur, iTunes on the computer must be running. It is running, yes?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You know it's working because when you tap library it should give you an option to select your iTunes library.

Occasionally happens to me, I just knock homesharing off on both devices, reboot them then re enable them and it usually sorts it.

Another thing that once caught me out was I didn't realise my iPad was still using 3G and so wondered why it wasn't working. Obviously you have to be on the same network as your iTunes library.

Most reactions

Latest posts