What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home entertainment solutions with ipad integration

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
beesknees said:
I guess since you mentioned ipad with your set-up we are not really hijacking this thread...

For me the HTPC is overkill. Outside of a local channel DVR my Boxee Box does everything WMP does. It supports the playback of everything from ISOs to mpegs. It supports every audio codec. It has a searchable db of all my content and just about every one of the 265 sites it has apps for. I have even loaded a bunch of content on a 2tb usb drive and travelled with it. It is only 179 bucks. To make sure we are still on topic... as I mentioned before it even supports air play.

I think the last few posts are definitely off topic. How did xbmc and boxee box get in here and how do they use the iPad (I posted about an app that integrates iPad into home entertainment solution)? :)

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I think the last few posts are definitely off topic. How did xbmc and boxee box get in here and how do they use the iPad (I posted about an app that integrates iPad into home entertainment solution)? :)

You can control the BB with an ipad and it supports air play.

You can load XMBC on ATV which is also integrated with the ipad.

Besides I am countering your view of the HTPC as a solution. Obviously it is a preference thing but I have an HTPC that I never use for media anymore. I thought by having a good natured debate we can relay additional information to anyone interested which I thought was one of the reasons for these forums.

So yeah we might be skirting the line but I don't think we crossed it too much. Any mod please correct me if I am wrong.

But we can sum it up with a quick comparison.

The strengths of the HTPC regardless of software is that things like Hulu that refuse to be on set-top-boxes can be viewed in the living room. Anything that can be played on a computer can be on your big screen. It can be used as a DVR for local channels with the aid of a digital antenna.

For a windows version the weakness is all the hassle of a normal computer. Updates, anti-virus scans, and other computer health utilities The only cost effective way is to have one is to either re-purpose an older computer, get a used one, or build one all of which will have to be re-fitted with quiet fans and some LEDs may have to be disconnected.

Sorry. This part got accidentally deleted. The pros for the Boxxee Box is that it is a STB. It is ready to go not long after leaving the box. It makes no noise and it is designed to be in your entertainment rack. It is completely remote control driven and the interface is super easy. In addition to the other things I have already mentioned there is no additional software to buy.

The cons are that it can't play everything a computer can and while it does now support local broadcasts you have to buy a special antenna and there is no DVR. However the recent CES winner simple.tv looks to be a good option once they launch. The boxee development team is too aggressive and it results in buggy firmware releases.

The cons of both is that special utilities have to be used to build a local library. Ripping and correct filename assignment are not user friendly

Anything to add my friend?

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bees, this is really way off topic. I don't think we need to hijack this thread for this discussion when there are suitable forums here for this discussion. Finally, I don't think either of us is interested in changing how we handle our home entertainment. I've cast my stones and am happy with them. Seems the same with you.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Bees, this is really way off topic. I don't think we need to hijack this thread for this discussion when there are suitable forums here for this discussion. Finally, I don't think either of us is interested in changing how we handle our home entertainment. I've cast my stones and am happy with them. Seems the same with you.

I disagree but if you are uncomfortable with a friendly back and forth to provide more information I will leave it alone. You have been here longer.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
beesknees said:
I disagree but if you are uncomfortable with a friendly back and forth to provide more information I will leave it alone. You have been here longer.

We can take it over to the off topic forum if you like....I actually do like to discuss HT stuff. After all, I've spent a lot of $$ on it.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use my Sony entertainment system with the iPad working from the iPod dock and AppleTV through the optical connection.

I do the same except sometimes just use air play to run through Sony entertainment for music. Also for music I have cheap cables hanging from all my radios around the house and office to connect to mic port to listen to radio apps, Rhapsody, Pandora. We have three Ipads in the household, two Ones and a Three. so sometimes use one as remote for Apple TV.

Most reactions