What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home button not working

alib101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all

I have a 6 month old iPad and the home button has started not responding, obviously not always but it's happening more and more frequently. Could anyone please suggest a possible cause / solution??

Many thanks

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...and in a pinch...you can use the virtual home button by going to...settings/general/Accessibility...and check "assistive touch."

A virtual home button will show up, which you can drag to a different spot on your screen.

OP
A

alib101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again Twerppoet, you truly merit your legend status! Thanks so much, it really seems to have worked, I wasn't looking forward to taking it back to Apple and having to possibly reprogramme a new one!

OP
A

alib101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks ski monkey, I'll keep that "on file"!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks again Twerppoet, you truly merit your legend status! Thanks so much, it really seems to have worked, I wasn't looking forward to taking it back to Apple and having to possibly reprogramme a new one!

Glad it worked. I didn't have high hopes for it, but thought it was worth trying before going to Apple.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brilliant, Twerppoet. Sometimes it's easy to forget about the hardware. That one had me clueless. Noted for future reference.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
A

alib101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what do you think may have caused it? I thought it may be because I use the iPad constantly in preference to the laptop and wondered if perhaps it was only supposed to be for more occasional use?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yay--you got it working! Sorry for the late arrival! Glad you got it sorted!!

Silversurfer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mostly the reason for a non working home button is dirt disturbing the contacts…
you can find a lot of crazy solutions in the web – a view months ago i found ifixthebutton.com
it really helped me…my HB is working now for months
Without sending it in or open it ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts