What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Button does Not Work after iOS 5.1.1. update

ChristianPerello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok this update officially stinks I responded to someone that mine was working fine only to find out that a day later, the home button started acting up. It was taking like 4 pushes to get it to react. I called apple support and they wanted me to send it in for repair and be without an iPad for a couple of weeks. I DON'T THINK SO. They better get this fixed cause it is very annoying. I am about to try and find a jailbreak so I can downgrade it back to 5.1. Apple, you guys are screwing up. Get it together!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited by a moderator:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ChristianPerello said:
Ok this update officially stinks. I responded to someone that mine was working fine only to find out that a day later, the home button started acting up. It was taking like 4 pushes to get it to react. I called apple support and they wanted me to send it in for repair and be without an iPad for a couple of weeks. I DON'T THINK SO. They better get this fixed cause it is very annoying. I am about to try and find a jailbreak so I can downgrade it back to 5.1. Apple, you guys are screwing up. Get your it together!

Did they recommend to try to re-calibrate your home button? Somewhere I saw somebody post the directions of this yesterday.

Last edited:
OP
ChristianPerello

ChristianPerello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Did they recommend to try to re-calibrate your home button? Somewhere I saw somebody post the directions of this yesterday.

No he didn't even try to go past saying "did you do a reset?". After I told him yes, he said well you need to send it for repair. I was like, its not even a month old! You got to be kidding me.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No he didn't even try to go past saying "did you do a reset?". After I told him yes, he said well you need to send it for repair. I was like, its not even a month old! You got to be kidding me.

See if this helps for calibrating your home button. It is geared towards the iPhone, but my understanding can be done with the iPad.

How to Recalibrate Your iPhone’s Unresponsive Home Button

Or this: http://snapguide.com/guides/calibrate-your-home-button/

OP
ChristianPerello

ChristianPerello

iPF Noob
Reaction score

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried this and still not working correctly.

Darn it...I was hoping it would. Christian, have you actually made an appointment with a Genius over at Apple? That may do you some good, versus to speaking to Apple Customer care on the phone.

OP
ChristianPerello

ChristianPerello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Darn it...I was hoping it would. Christian, have you actually made an appointment with a Genius over at Apple? That may do you some good, versus to speaking to Apple Customer care on the phone.

The closest one is two hours away in Charleston, SC. I plan on heading that way in a couple of weeks. So I will have to suffer till then.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The closest one is two hours away in Charleston, SC. I plan on heading that way in a couple of weeks. So I will have to suffer till then.

Christian, I created a new thread for you to see if we can get more attention for you. Two weeks is a long time to wait, maybe others can help you if they see this as a stand alone thread.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I can't help in getting the home button to working if a reset, restart or the home button calibration didn't work.

However, until you can get the iPad to the Apple store for a look-see by the geniuses, maybe you can try turning in the Assistive touch function in Settings (Settings > General > Accessibility > Assistive Touch = ON). You'll get a little white dot that you can use as a Home button until you can get your iPad fixed.

Sorry I can't help better.

Marilyn

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Assistive Touch feature that Mickey has shown you will make it easier for you until you can get to your Apple store. They will just replace your iPad when you do get there so make sure you do a complete backup before going.

OP
ChristianPerello

ChristianPerello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
The Assistive Touch feature that Mickey has shown you will make it easier for you until you can get to your Apple store. They will just replace your iPad when you do get there so make sure you do a complete backup before going.

Thank you. I have everything backed up to my iCloud so I am good to go.

OP
ChristianPerello

ChristianPerello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So my wife gave me some good news this morning. We are going to the apple store tomorrow so that I can get my iPad replaced. Maybe by some freak luck they will be out of 2's and they give me the new iPad lol.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ChristianPerello said:
So my wife gave me some good news this morning. We are going to the apple store tomorrow so that I can get my iPad replaced. Maybe by some freak luck they will be out of 2's and they give me the new iPad lol.

Good luck to you, Christian! I hope that all works well for you.

OP
ChristianPerello

ChristianPerello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Good luck to you, Christian! I hope that all works well for you.

Thank you. I almost didn't have to go because I did a full restart for the second time and it was working for a few hours. Now it is back to the same thing. I just don't want to go there, drive two hours for them to do a restore and then they see it working correctly, then I get home and am back with the same situation. Because I guarantee that is what is going to happen.

evohicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect mine has been playing up also since the latest update. It's very random though, works most of the time but sometimes I have to press it a few times, I was also asked to phone AppleCare to arrange a replacement although I think that would probably mean a refurb. It's looking like a software fault as its not getting any worse and it doesn't matter if I press it hard or soft, it won't work until it wants to, then it might work for days with no problems. Only had this since February. Not sure yet if I will send it off or stick with it unless it gets any worse.

Most reactions

Latest posts