What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holding off buying iPad mini for mini 2

moshe5368

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not so sure there will be that much of a drop in price as the mini is already pretty inexpensive. If it does drop, ill be there to buy another one. My wife is already threatening to steal mine.

Wingennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see no problems with my display. Where would you have heard that one? Go ahead and wait, then 9 months from now, when they release the next version, you should sell your IPM 2 to get the 3!

There is absolutely no problem with the display. However, there is a drastic difference in resolution. When I use the mini and then my 4th gen, the difference is obvious to me.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to decide when to purchase the Mini now, or wait as well. I still have my 1st generation iPad, but it is showing it's age and it can't multitask very well which I need to have it run 2-3 Apps without logging then off. Same Apps work fine on my iPhone 4s as I need them too, I just need a bigger screen.

Once concern I have is when iOS 7 is released with it's "200 new features" is it going to impact the Mini like iOS 5 did for the original iPad model? I remember it was quite speedy when I first got it, now it seems clunky when typing and trying to use.

I am not overly concerned with the screen resolution as used to my iPad, but compared to a iPhone you can really see the difference, especially in text.

I need something portable for my work for when I am out, and a LTE Mini would be great for this.

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The more I play around with the mini, the more I am loving it. Its so much more comfortable to hold when using it than iPAd 2. The screen is comparable to iPAd 2, and because its smaller screen, the resolution actually appears slightly higher but yet the screen is actually a really nice size. I will probably sell the mini and buy the new one when it comes out because the battery life is slightly disappointing. It runs around 7 hours playing video on loop whereas the iPad 2 runs around 10 hours under same conditions.

In the future I will only buy the mini. There is no reason to spend £150 to £200 more on the full size.

Last edited:

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen is the same resolution as the iPad 2, but looks clearer as the increase to the the PPI. 163 for the Mini vs 132 of the ipad 2.

Honestly it did not look too bad next to a Retina iPad in the store to me.

Last edited:
OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The alumanium back does give the iPad the quality look and feel, but I do think because the mini is signficantly smaller and thinner than the full size, it can get a little slippery. I think they should maintain it but release an extremely lightweight rubbery back case for those who want the option to attach it to the back for better grip. I tried out my friend's Nexus 7 and it is much nicer to hold because of the back surface. Its not slippery nor cold to touch. I did get a back case for the mini from Amazon but adds significantly to the weight and makes it clunky to hold.

moshe5368

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Look at the rocket fish snap on back for the mini. I picked up 2 of them for my 16 and 32 gb minis and they work well. Light weight plastic and they protect the back of the mini well. I believe they were about 20 dollars each at best buy.

quadtronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the metal feel... and love when it gets cold. It can get slippery though but I just hold it tighter. Been using my mini with no case or cover just a budget sleeve from RadioShack.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

jes1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone use their mini for drawing, in eduvcation or health care? If so, any comments on sharing your drawings on the mini vs a full size iPad?

nexusman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the ipad mini 64gb. No problems at all with the display, I personally think it is good as the retina display pad. At one time, I did not like apple at all, I have had two android mobiles in the past, which I did not think were very good. I bought the ipad mini, and now have the iphone. Apple in my opinion are far better than any of the android phones/tablets.
Martin

Last edited:

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is always something nicer coming. Sometime.

So the solution is to wait forever and never purchase at all. Look at all the money saved!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

So the solution is to wait forever and never purchase at all. Look at all the money saved!

That's right enough, and while you're waiting you can make a couple of purchases to tide you over; iPad mini, MBP, iMac. That sort of stuff.

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score

But iPad 2 was supposed to be quite imminent. There was talk of a possible April release.

Regarding the mini itself, initially I was quite hesitant in buying it and then took me a few days to get properly accustomed to it because I was used to the bigger iPad. Now I hardly ever use the bigger iPad. The mini is so much lighter and more comfortable to use. I think the selling points for the bigger iPad has now lessened considerably since the launch of the mini.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts