What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ho do I drag movies into iTune?

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a folder on my PC that contain 2 movies in the .AVI format. To get that folder into the iTunes program I remember reading somewhere that all I have to do is simply drag it into the iTune folder.

But try as I may, I can not seem to be able do this. I drag the folder all over the iTune program window but I can not find an area that will accept that folder. :(

My PC runs the Windows7 OS.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Regards

babyboyhappy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
though itunes supports drag and drop function, but you can not drag all kinds of video to itunes
it only supports mp4, m4v, mov

and avi is a format that itunes can not import

in order to import avi to itunes, you had better convert it to itunes more compatible one like mp4

Sunny3G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Janset,
First of all iTunes will not play .avi files. You have to convert the file into a mp4 file with a movie converter before iTunes will accept and play the movie. There are a few free ones out there, just google movie converter.
Once you have converted the file to mp4, you open iTunes and go to edit at the top of the screen, click there and go down to preferences at the bottom of the menu screen drop down and click on it. Once the preferences screen opens, click on the general tab at the top (it will probably already be in general) make sure there is a check mark in the movies box, while you are at it you can also put a check mark in the apps and books if you use them. Then click ok. Now on the iTunes window on the left side under library you should see music, movies, apps, books etc. click on the movies icon and that will open the movies library. This is where you will drag the converted mp4 movies into. Once they are loaded in this window you are ready to watch them on your computer in itunes. When you sync your ipad to your itunes the movie will now be on your ipad in the videos app. If you have an hdmi cable that is compatible with the apple digital av adapter, then you can watch the movie on your tv from your ipad.
Hope this long novel I just wrote, helps you?
Good luck!

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Thanks for your reply. Yes I am aware that the .AVI will not play normally on an iPad, but as I said before I have some movies already converted to AVI and by so doing the actual size of a movie is reduced to an average of about 1.3 Gig which is a much handier size allowing for more movies to be stored.

I remember reading about an APP in the APPS store that claimed that when the APP is loaded the iPad will play the .AVI formats plus a few other formats just for good luck. So I went looking for it. After reading blurbs on various movie APPs I settled on "CineXPlayer".

What a great little program!

The picture and sound is perfect. When you first press the APP icon up pops a picture tutorial which runs for several pages, it could not be easier to follow. To be on the safe side, I took notes during the tutorial just in case it would not come again after the initial movie transfer and I am glad that I did as I can not get it to come up now, that's not to say it will never come up again, but then again, I have only had an iPad for a few days and I am still learning.

So there you have it guys, I am a happy camper. :)

Regards

Most reactions

Latest posts