What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hiw much data per GB

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a site anywhere that gives one an idea of what can be downloaded per GB in a data plan? We have extensive wifi in my area so using it is emergency for me and I will increase data amount when we travel. I got the smallest amount in Verizon this time and expect I won't be able to do much with 1GB LOL.

For those using GPS how much data coverage do you figure to use it on a trip??

Oh, gosh, just saw the misstyped title--really need to check before posting LOL.

Diane

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Better late than never

1 hour of instant messaging 0.25-1MB
1 hour of web browsing 1.5-25MB
Download 100 emails 1-10MB
100 minutes talk on Skype Around 50MB
Download 1 photo 0.05-2MB
Download 1 MP3 3-8MB
Download 1 film trailer 7-50MB
1 software download 70-800MB
Download 1 film 700-1500MB
Streaming 1 hour of video 250-500MB
Streaming 1 hour of audio 50-150MB

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the 'GPS Drive' app a lot, about 15 hours a month. (It downloads maps real time from the network). I also use the Tunein Radio app to stream live radio while I'm driving. (About 3 hours a month). I also do a fair bit of light browsing when I'm not near a WiFi spot.. I rarely exceed 500 MB a month..

If you're going to watch Netflix or download movies on 3G, then 1 Gig probably won't be enough.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. No, nothing but occasional use. We have a great deal of free wifi in my area so I got along pretty well with my Ipad one for two years with wifi only. I dled an app to keep track of my data use and find its very minimal. Thanks above for specific though--helpful.

Diane

Most reactions

Latest posts