1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Hissing sound from speaker

Discussion in 'iPad 4 Forum' started by Fluidz, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Fluidz

Fluidz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi guys,

My ipad is producing a hissing/static noise when the speaker is activated, it can be heard if I put my ear up close, as far as 15 cm away. The hiss stops after a while, can be anytime upto 30 seconds before the hissing stops. I heard a pop whilst watching a youtube video and think it started then.

Please out your ear up to your ipad when typing, can you hear a ssshhhh sound?

Thankyou.
  2. Richard Brown

Richard Brown Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0
    Hello Fluidz,
    It seems that your iPad has developed a physical problem - possibly a loose connection? Have you dropped or jarred your iPad?

It may be best to take it into your apple store for a check etc.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk.
  3. Fluidz

Fluidz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Richard,

I haven't dropped or jarred the Ipad. I may pop into an Apple store if I can verify its just my Ipad, I assume nobody else hears the hiss?

Thanks
  4. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +755 / 0
    Hi Fluidz - I agree w/ Richard that you likely have a hardware issue, but just a few more comments: 1) If you have not 'Reset' the iPad, give that a try (directions below); and 2) Change the 'Side Switch' back & forth and its function from mute in Settings. And a few questions: 1) Does the 'hissing' change in loudness and/or disappear when you adjust the volume rocker? If so, then you might want to blow some compressed air into the rocker; and 2) Does this affect the headphone jack, i.e. do you hear the sound w/ headphones plugged into the device? Let us know & good luck! Dave :)