Hilton Head Island - Daufuskie Island - Savannah

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Apr 24, 2015.

1. suenc

suenc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    No matter how many times I go there, I always enjoy the charm of Savannah--very Southern, very lovely and just a bit mysterious.

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    April 15, 2017 - just a quick post!

The PGA Tour this week is on Hilton Head Island at the Harbour Town Golf Links - the island was devastated by Hurricane Matthew last fall, but has miraculously recovered in just 6+ months - the golf course looks in great shape although hundreds of trees were lost (thousands on the island overall).

BUT, the main reason for the posting, is the encounter w/ the gator in the video below - Ian Poulter (an English golfer) hit his ball in the water and had to take a penalty stroke and a drop - WELL, a large alligator appeared on the bank - what to do? Take a look at the video.

Many years ago when I ran our first summer radiology course on Kiawah Island (ca. 1984), my in-laws came down from New Jersey - my FIL and I played a round of golf and on one hole, I hit my ball near some water - while approaching the spot, a large alligator emerged and decided to sun near my ball - well, I went to the other side of the fairway and dropped a new ball - we talked about that for years! :) Dave

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 6.03.38 PM.png

#62 giradman, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Sunrise Photograph of the Tybee Island Pier and Pavilion by David Shipper

My SIL in Hot Springs, Arkansas just posted the first pic below on FB - photograph by the nature photographer, David Shipper, of the Tybee Island Pier at sunrise - beautiful! Tybee Island is the beach retreat for Savannah, GA that we have visited several times and was discussed in this thread HERE; the photo makes the pier seem so isolated and romantic, but the other pics show its location on the island and nearness to the town buildings - he must have been in an ideal spot and using the right lenses.

His sister lives in Hot Springs and knows my SIL - David lives in Beaufort, SC but shows his work there and also in Bluffton, SC and in Hot Springs. I have 3 of his photos, which I framed, in one of our bedrooms - if interested, click on his name above linked to his website - he offers numerous size and paper options and his prices are quite good - NOTE - I don't know him personally and have no financial connection. Dave :)

TybeeIsland0.png TybeeIsland1.jpg TybeeIsland2.jpg TybeeIsland3.png