What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highlighting pdf's in iBooks

kadangajones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I read a lot of books and documents in the pdf format, often on my MacBook before importing them to my iPad.
I find the highlighting function in Preview really useful, especially when I need reference points to return to later on.

However, when I import the highlighted pdf's to my iPad, the highlights disappear, they're not visible when I open iBooks.
Is there any way, maybe through another app, to see the highlights?

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To view your annotations in iBooks you must flatten the file. Annotations are usually stored as extra, editable, bits in a PDF. Since iBooks does not support annotations, it can not view them. However, it is possible to flatten them; make them a un-editable and permanent part of the PDF.

To flatten the PDF in Preview chose Print from the File menu. At the lower left part of the dialog click on PDF button/menu and choose Save As PDF.

Or you could use one of the many great PDF annotation apps, so that you can read and continue to edit your PDF documents on the iPad. I like PDF Expert and GoodReader. There are lots of others with a variety of features to appeal to almost any use case.

Most reactions

Latest posts