What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highlight text in 'pages' on the iPad.

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you mean select for copy/paste?

Hold your finger on a word. When you remove your finger a box appears and pick SELECT. Your word will highlight. Drag the little dots to cover everything you want.

Then pick what you wanna do with the text.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you do this ?

Inverness - you're just along the road from me.

I'm not sure whether you meant what the other poster suggested - i.e. highlighting in preparation for a cut-and-paste operation - or whether you meant highlighting as in 'drawing over it with a highlighting pen'. There's no easy way to do this directly. Of course you can change the colour, font, text size, style etc but if you really want to highlight then the only way to do this is UGLY.

OK - make sure you're sitting down before you read Tim's ugly way of highlighting text in Pages...it's bad...

OK - highlighting in Microsoft Word is not a problem and, guess what, Pages can display a document correctly if you import it and it has highlighted text. Now you can see what's about to come, can't you. I said it was ugly. I keep a 'prototype' document in the My Documents area of Pages that has all sorts of stuff in - superscript and subscript, footnotes, symbol font and some highlighted text. When I want one of these effects in a Pages document I copy and paste it from the prototype document into the document I'm working on. I can backspace through the highlighted text until all the unwanted words are deleted and then start typing and the text all comes out highlighted. In fact, you need to paste the prototype highlighted text into the middle of some non-highlighted text in the document that you're working on otherwise you can't get out of highlighted mode. Same for superscripts, subscripts etc. Ugly workaround but it *does* work.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's better than my workaround, which was to put your text inside a shape and try to get the text to flow around it properly.

Don't bother to try it, it doesn't work.

Too bad you can't place shapes in front of or behind the text layer. With opacity you could highlight entire sections, not to mention all kinds of other cool effects. You can do this in the OS X version, of course.

OP
I

Ingliside

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, unfortunately not suitable for highlighting an existing document :(

rONniEx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys...am having the same problem. Haven't figured out how to do this in pages but Office2HD can do it easily. One would think Apple's own product will have have an edge over the rest. But seems it's following others in practicality....

Most reactions

Latest posts