What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High End Speakers

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I might was well put these two questions/topics in one discussion, as they seem interrelated.

1) Is the Creative ZiiSound D5 the best Bluetooth speaker right now (in its price range, which is audiophile but not absurd or extreme) for the iPad?

2) Is "compressed music" as good as CDs for my daily musical enjoyment? In other words, would I be missing much if I copied my entire collection of CDs to iTunes, then sync with my iPad, then use the iPad as my primary source of home audio? If not, what's a better way? I'm reading the reviews of the B&W Zeppelin, but I don't understand what the iPod can do that my iPad (32GB) can't.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My acid test for music is simple. I know that at 50+ my hearing is not what it once was. My upper range of hearing is way below the cutoff frequency for mp3, so I don't expect any loss in performance by compressing my rips.

I find a piece of music which affects me in some way other than simply enjoying listening to it. For example, Kathleen Battle's soprano part in Karl Orff's Carmina Burana literally makes my hair stand on end. I rip it, stoke up the volume and wait for the effects. If I don't get them, I trash the method. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
V

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
... stoke up the volume and wait for the effects. If I don't get them, I trash the method. Simple.

And what speakers do you stoke up that volume?

Sent from my iPad because, well because this is the iPad forum

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just an old set of Yamaha 5.1 speakers. They still have an incredibly rich sound. In fact I was just listening to Notre dame de Paris on them a few minutes ago.

I wouldn't mind replacing them some time with a Bose system, but $1200 is a bit steep.

OP
V

veryken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Just an old set of Yamaha 5.1 speakers. They still have an incredibly rich sound. In fact I was just listening to Notre dame de Paris on them a few minutes ago.

I wouldn't mind replacing them some time with a Bose system, but $1200 is a bit steep.

And here I thought Creative and B&W were on the cutting edge of Bluetooth audio for the iPad. That Yamaha must be amazing.

Most reactions