What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hiding wifi ssid?

danx55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all

as I understand it one of best ways of securing wifi Is to hide the ssid.
but when I try this my devices obviously can't connect to the network. even though they have connected before so should remember the network.

anyone else tried/managed to do this or is it not worth it?

have altered the default admin password on router

cheers
dan

OP
D

danx55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi
actually the iPad was ok this time as I hid the ssid while using the pad. but my phone and pc wouldn't connect. possibly the wrong forum for this :) but I do have a pad2 honest :D

cheers
dan

....I suspect if the pad lost connection for some reason it would then not connect again ?

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
turning off the ssid broadcast gives a very false sense of security.

Anybody with even a rudimentary knowledge of networking will not be even mildly inconvenienced by a "hidden ssid". I won't post the info here, but I could get around that problem in literally seconds.

OP
D

danx55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:( bummer - but thanks for the info - any other suggestions? apart from never turning it on obviously :D

cheers

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mac address filtering will make it more secure, although a good bit less convenient.

It is hard to make wireless totally secure, but we do the best we can...........

OP
D

danx55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ah right - so you mean manually add mac for each device?

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hide the SSID and use WPA or WPA2. this will help secure your network. As has been said, nothing is 100%, but this will surely help. Do not use WEP, as it is old and very easy to get around, for those who want into your system.

OP
D

danx55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cool thanks - yes im using wpa2

hiding the ssid seems tricky though, as generally devices seem to need it to connect even when it is their default network etc

cheers
dan

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is really nothing tricky about hiding the ssid and it only keeps a person who is computer illiterate out.

I have a port scanner that will find any hidden ID in about 2 seconds and I'm honest.

I guaranty you anybody wanting to break into your network will be using the same thing (or something far better)

OP
D

danx55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok thanks for info - will just leave it turned off ;)
cheers
dan

Most reactions