What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hiding apps (but not from me)

shawnvw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[Threads merged - see post #2 - DM51]

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

shawnvw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife is a teacher whose school gave her an iPad 2 for classroom use. Naturally, we want to put cool stuff on it for our own use, and we don't want the kids to see it. Or the principal.

The Restrictions setting can make all the third-party apps disappear from the screen, but she needs to keep the school-related ones accessible.

We can't just put her Kobo reader or my Marvel Comics into a folder and label it "Boring Grownup Stuff" and move it to the last page, because sooner or later they're going to snoop around, find it, and get curious.

Perhaps there's a way to password-protect an individual folder. If so, is there something you can download that will shut down open apps after a time? There's no point in hiding the iTunes app or my wife's "Photos of the Old Spice Guy" if we leave it running in the background and then it shows up on the Recent Apps bar.

Oh, and I assume that any form of jailbreaking is going to be strictly prohibited.

Thanks!

Aa1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is to sync your private apps to your computer and leave them there until you return home. Just select which ones you have to sync for school.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, and I assume that any form of jailbreaking is going to be strictly prohibited.

Thanks!

Not at all. I'm JB. It is not illegal. We have a whole section dedicated to the dark side. However ~ Stealing apps is piracy and a forbidden topic here. Read our rules and welcome!

Visit our Hacking Section.

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Support the developers!!!!!

iFrog - Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Attachments

• image-2102164817.png
    image-2102164817.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 343

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to answer your question, you can lock any app with a password when you are jailbroken, a few apps(built in tweaks) allow this, lockdown pro is one i use.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the poet said, for a non-jailbreak iPad this is simply not possible. It's because Apple took the decision to totally isolate ('sandbox') apps. In a PC one program is able to interact with another directly - in the iPad this is impossible. In addition, in the iPad, there is no central file repository - each app has a completely isolated local set of files that only that app is able to operate on.

The reason Apple decided to do this were many - but one very positive advantage of this approach is that the iPad cannot get a computer virus because, for a virus to be able to be effective it has to be able to infect other programs or files. In the iPad such a virus would be ineffective because it would have no ability to be able to directly influence another app.

Such app-to-app interaction that is allowed is under the very strict control of the iPad's operating system, iOS.

The downside of this approach is that the sort of control that you're looking for - say where a 'security' app is able to impose passwords on access to another app or its files - is simply not possible. While an individual app could impose a password on its own files (and some do) any app that chooses not to do this simply cannot have such a restriction imposed from outside.

As the poet suggested, if an individual iPad owner takes the decision to jail break their iPad then anything then becomes possible.

Tim

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You posted 2 identical threads on the same topic, in 2 separate forums. Please don't do that. It is prohibited by Rule 4.

The threads have been merged.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
besides locking of apps and folders, you can also change the artwork and rename individual apps, make them small, big, transparent etc, etc....

OP
S

shawnvw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DM51 said:
You posted 2 identical threads on the same topic, in 2 separate forums. Please don't do that. It is prohibited by Rule 4.

The threads have been merged.

When I realized I had posted in the wrong forum, I had tried to delete it and post in the right place. Sorry if I failed to do so.

OP
S

shawnvw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Not at all. I'm JB. It is not illegal....

Ah, but I didn't say "illegal". I said "prohibited". As in, the school district could easily decide to take the iPad back and my wife will stop talking to me.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, but I didn't say "illegal". I said "prohibited". As in, the school district could easily decide to take the iPad back and my wife will stop talking to me.

its not prohibited to buy your own.

ALcH3Mi5T

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In your case, I suggest jail breaking, using sbsettings to hide the apps, and lockdown to lock those apps.

Most reactions

Latest posts