Hidden email password

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by ddsrph, Jan 15, 2015.

1. ddsrph

ddsrph
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have forgotten my hotmail email password because it is in my IPad and I never have to type it in. When I tried to access my email from another computer I realized I have forgotten it. I have tried but all I can see is the dots. Is there any way to have the iPad display my actual password. The problem is compounded because I can't reset the password due to the secondary email Microsoft has is no longer valid. That leads to a deadend when I try to simply reset the password.

Thanks
    JM

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    If the only place you had the password entered was in the Mail app, then no. It's hashed and not recoverable.

If you occasionally use Safari to log into your email via their website, and you had the password feature turned on, and you said yes when Safari asked you to save it (a lot of ifs here), then you might be able to find it under Settings > Safari > Passwords & Autofill > Saved Passwords. It will be locked behind a pin, that you, hopefully, have not forgotten.

Other than that, you're probably going to have to work your way though HotMails support system. Be prepared to prove you are who you are. After several high profile celebrity hacks, over the phone password support has become far more demanding.

And, it might be a good time to consider a good password app. There are simply too many things these days that require passwords, good secure passwords. It's too much for most people to keep in their head.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List