What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi

TheBism

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am sitting under a big awning at the beach, temperature is about 85 with a light breeze, I think this is close to heaven! I look forward to this forum and all of your advice. My most pressing issues are related to being able to read things from my USB thumb drive connected with the iPad jack; and second, being able to reduce the size of photos to send them as email attachments from my iPad. I hope to travel exclusively with my iPad and need to put trip photos on and share via email. Any help is greatly appreciated.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

USB thumb drives sometimes work with the Camera Connection Kit, and sometimes don't. It all has to do with how much current they draw. Simple, no encryptions, lights, etc. drives are more likely to work.

Unless you jailbreak the ipad, the only thing you will be able to transfer off the thumb drive are pictures and movies (with limited formats working for movies). The pictures need to be in a folder named DCIM to work. I'm not familiar with the jailbreak and apps needed to do more.

There are several photo editing apps you can use to edit pictures before sending them. Again, I'm not familiar with them all, so I'll leave the suggestions to others.

Reaction score
Following up on twerppoets post. There is no need to resize images. When you add them to an email, tap on 'Cc/Bcc', the mail menu will expand and let's you choose the image size of the send images. This is much faster then editing the images manually.

OP
T

TheBism

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the responses. I don't know anything about jail breaking my iPad, and to be honest am a bit nervous about doin that as I am not the sharpest technical tack in the box.
Leslie

OP
T

TheBism

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Following up on twerppoets post. There is no need to resize images. When you add them to an email, tap on 'Cc/Bcc', the mail menu will expand and let's you choose the image size of the send images. This is much faster then editing the images manually.

I am not getting this to work. Sorry. I chose a photo, click to email it. When I tap the cc/bc it only opens my contacts list to chose someone to copy to. What am I doing wrong?

Inpurple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TheBism said:
I am not getting this to work. Sorry. I chose a photo, click to email it. When I tap the cc/bc it only opens my contacts list to chose someone to copy to. What am I doing wrong?

I'm new and not very wise but I think I understand your problem. I use the Photogene app. When you email from this app, it gives you a choice of small, medium, or large.

oops, just tried the 'tap the cc/bcc tip" and it worked. Should keep my mouth shut till I know more! Sorry!

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Interesting. The option only seems to appear when you are sending a photo, or photos that exceed some email size limit. Playing around with various combinations of photos I'd say it's anything over 500KB.

You can tell when you're going to get the option. It will say something like Images: 500KB to the right of the Cc/Bcc From line.

Ironic that you have to send a big email in order to send smaller pictures, isn't it? :D

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts