What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, New Guy with Broken iPad

mattholew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. My name is Matt and I'm new. :D

I have had my iPad 3G 64g for about 8 months now. It fell out of my truck about a month ago onto the pavement. It was in a Apple case with a screen protector on it. The sleep button area took the impact and it dented that area enough to keep the sleep button in a depressed state. To try and remedy this, I with all my wisdom thought I might be able to bend it back enough to get the button to release. I did this with a small screw driver and a small hammer. I tapped on the edge of the case near the gasket trying to stay away from the screen. About the time I got the frame to bend enough to release the button, you guessed it, I cracked the glass!! ARGGHHHHH, so close. So now I am in need of repair.

I wanted to join here to get more info on all things iPad and to also get some opinions on how I should have this fixed. Apple of course wants $420 to replace the iPad. YIKES. So I called powerbookmedic.com over in Alabama and they said if the frame doesn't need to be replaced, the glass and labor for replacing it would be $130. Doesn't sound too bad, except if anything goes wrong with the hardware of my iPad I am on my own at that point.

Would some of you please share your opinions on what the best thing to do would be. I will try to upload a picture of the damage, but I have yet to figure out how to get a photo out of my iPad photo library and onto a forum. Help with that would be great too if you know how.

Happy Padding,
Matt

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your broken iPad.

Have a look at

iPad Wi-Fi Teardown - iFixit

where they 'tear down' an iPad. It shows you how the screen and other parts can be replaced. They also have some ads down the right hand side of the screen and, when I logged on just now, they had spare screen assemblies for sale. I doubt whether you'd want to do this yourself, but the price I saw for the screen assembly was about what you were being quoted. If you go to Apple you're paying a significant portion of the price of a new iPad. I'd certainly go for the repair. If your iPad suffers a subsequent hardware problem, how are you any the worse off? Anyway, the iPad 2 might be out by then.

Good Luck - I feel your pain.

Tim
Scotland

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I have had my iPad 3G 64g for about 8 months now. It fell out of my truck about a month ago onto the pavement. It was in a Apple case with a screen protector on it.

......I will try to upload a picture of the damage, but I have yet to figure out how to get a photo out of my iPad photo library and onto a forum. Help with that would be great too if you know how.

Hi Matt, welcome to the Forum. Wow! I hate that this happened to your iPad. Tim gave you a link to what you might want to do with repairing your iPad. I would go the Apple route....if I had the extra $420. You give them the broken one and they will replace it. I suppose that is the ultimate recycling program. Be sure to back up your iPad so you can at least recover your apps, etc.

I wanted to address your question about posting a picture...here is a very long but interesting thread regarding posting a picture. I have the Photobucket app and that is the solution I arrived at based on what this thread discussed.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/11805-adding-images-thread.html

Savage.Winlock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Screen Repair Failed attempt

Hey Matt, Same thing happened to me, I tried to replace the screen myself on my iPad, I was half way successful in taking apart the iPad with a small screw driver but soon i found my self lost, after spending hours online with videos couldn't get the hang of it, i found Dr. Cell Phone Repair who said they could put it back if bring in the ipad along with all the screws and the new screen. They put it back in about one hour. I am glad i found the Doctor else i thought i was doomed. I would recommend anyone who needs iPad Repair

I have had my iPad 3G 64g for about 8 months now. It fell out of my truck about a month ago onto the pavement. It was in a Apple case with a screen protector on it. The sleep button area took the impact and it dented that area enough to keep the sleep button in a depressed state. To try and remedy this, I with all my wisdom thought I might be able to bend it back enough to get the button to release. I did this with a small screw driver and a small hammer. I tapped on the edge of the case near the gasket trying to stay away from the screen. About the time I got the frame to bend enough to release the button, you guessed it, I cracked the glass!! ARGGHHHHH, so close. So now I am in need of repair.

I wanted to join here to get more info on all things iPad and to also get some opinions on how I should have this fixed. Apple of course wants $420 to replace the iPad. YIKES. So I called powerbookmedic.com over in Alabama and they said if the frame doesn't need to be replaced, the glass and labor for replacing it would be $130. Doesn't sound too bad, except if anything goes wrong with the hardware of my iPad I am on my own at that point.

Would some of you please share your opinions on what the best thing to do would be. I will try to upload a picture of the damage, but I have yet to figure out how to get a photo out of my iPad photo library and onto a forum. Help with that would be great too if you know how.

Happy Padding,
Matt

mcduck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Broken glass...

So I bent over to kiss my son and...bam! Dropped it (2, 64, wf, 3G) on it's edge, screen broke but only tiny dent in back case. Apple says I'm cooked and out of luck ( and warranty for dropping it..) but to use 3rd party to fix glass if all else works. Right now I'm on day four or so of using it with cracked screen and no other problems. I worry about sending it off to have glass repaired because they may say they can't put the glass on with even a teensy dent on back, then it's suddenly a 300 dollar goof! Holy Toledo I blew all my money buying this thing, now can't get it fixed!? BTW I do have a clear screen protector on, I think that's what's holding it together now. Who has advice about best way to go with repair?

Most reactions